Prepare to succeed and lead in a truly global world.Study at NYUAD
Your journey to NYUAD starts here. Attend an application workshop or information session.Admissions Events
The challenges of our rapidly globalizing world are varied, complex, and cross-disciplinary.Featured Research
- Campus Life
Live the possibilities. Be part of a dynamic community of students from over 115 countries.Take a Tour
Exceptional education. World class research. Community-driven.Our Story
The academic programs of the Arts and Humanities division are firmly rooted in the best traditions of a liberal arts curriculum but they approach this curriculum from new intellectual perspectives.
Courses are shaped around a deep commitment to global frameworks of understanding, and, where appropriate, they present, examine, and discuss the history, theory, and practice of the arts together rather than separately.
These approaches are a distinguishing characteristic of the Arts and Humanities at NYU Abu Dhabi and they signal a belief in both an ethics and a disciplinary inventiveness suited to the contemporary world. NYUAD’s Arts and Humanities courses instill an awareness of the global interconnectedness of human values and of the need for communication and respect between cultures; courses also enable students to deepen their understanding of Middle Eastern history and culture.
The programs in the NYUAD Arts and Humanities Division share common educational objectives. These are to educate students who after graduation, will:
- Pursue a diverse range of careers in academia, the arts, business, government, law, industry, or the media.
- Seek further professional development through graduate school programs, continuing educational courses, and/or professional training.
- Develop innovative, ethical and socially responsible solutions to a range of local, regional or global problems across boundaries of difference and ethical complexity.
- Be effective communicators and demonstrate collaborative, entrepreneurial and leadership qualities.
The primary pedagogical goals of the Arts and Humanities Division, across all majors and minors, are for its students to:
- Conduct advanced research, including archival research and fieldwork, and master the use of primary and secondary sources, library resources and relevant new technologies.
- Achieve the ability to read and think critically, assess the relevant scholarship of the field, assimilate material quickly in a comprehensive way, analyze and evaluate different kinds of evidence, and develop conclusions or hypotheses from it.
- Present original arguments in a rhetorically efficient form, both written and oral, demonstrating effective use of evidence, organizational skill and relevant technology.
- Produce new knowledge and / or understanding in their field, provide perspectives that demonstrate a breadth and depth of understanding beyond it, and communicate effectively abouttheir field to non-specialists and to the wider public.
- Develop creative responses that demonstrate complex conceptual ability, technical mastery of the medium and the ability to bring a projectto fruition in a timely manner.