- Campus Life
Application and Selection Process
December 1, 2017
Nomination / application packages start going out to high schools.
February 19, 2018
Mar 19 to Mar 20, 2018
Selection Days at NYUAD's Saadiyat Island campus.
May 1, 2018
Enrollment period begins for up to 32 selected students. Orientation will follow.
How it Works
Step 1: Nomination
Summer Academy solicits nominations from school principals and counselors on behalf of Emirati students who attend government or private high schools in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. School officials are invited to identify and nominate their most outstanding students who are completing their tenth year. For those students completing a 13th year, then exceptions will be made for them to be nominated in their 11th year.
- Hold an Emirati passport or be a child of an Emirati mother;
- Study in an Abu Dhabi high school;
- Enrolled in the American 10th grade (or equivalent) at time of nomination*;
- Possess a record of academic achievement as demonstrated by the school transcript;
- Have basic communication of English in reading comprehension and writing skills;
- Show motivation to succeed, potential for growth, and leadership ability; and
- Demonstrate an investment in personal growth and academic progress.
*For those anticipating completing a 13th year, then an exception will be made to be enrolled in the 11th year.
Step 2: Compile and Submit Application
School officials will receive the application by mid-December. Students interested in being nominated are encouraged to work with their school representative to complete and submit the application by the deadline. Submissions must be processed through the school before being considered by the selection committee. Individual applications will not be accepted.
Step 3: Selection Days
Complete applications are reviewed by the program administration and finalists are selected to participate in the Summer Academy's Selection Days, which include:
- Interviews with separate panels, including the Executive Director, program faculty and staff, and program chaperones;
- Reading comprehensive and diagnostic writing exercise; and
- Sample ACT exam excerpt.
Students must be available to participate in person.
Step 4: Enrollment of New Class
Up to 32 students are selected to participate in the NYUAD Summer Academy. Students and their schools will be notified in May. Once students are accepted and have agreed to participate, they, along with their parents/guardians, participate in a mandatory orientation meeting in May and are sent a packet of required enrollment forms to fill out.