What Makes a Good Scholar?
SMSP does not have a minimum required GPA or IELTS/TOEFL exam score; candidates, however, are expected to:
- Be top students with noted intellectual curiosity and a record of accomplishment;
- Possess excellent English language competency;
- Have outstanding interpersonal skills and be eager to contribute to the class;
- Be creative or have other special talents or gifts;
- Demonstrate leadership potential;
- Be enterprising and demonstrate a spirit of adventure and flexibility.
Students typically apply to SMSP during their second or third years of study. To apply to the program a student must meet the following criteria:
- Students must have completed four fall/spring semesters by the time the Program starts in September. Students may apply during their fourth semester.
- When the Program starts in September, students must be enrolled at their home university.
- Once students submit their applications, only those chosen for nomination by the home universities will be reviewed by the Program. Only completed applications will be considered.
How to Complete Your Application
Students and university administrators must ensure that all applications are complete by the noted deadlines.
NOTE: A nomination is not complete unless all documents are received by the deadline.
Below is a checklist of all documents required from the students:
- Biographical Information — text entry
- Student/Parent Consent Form — upload
- CV or Resume — upload
- Why SMSP? — text entry
- Personal Essay — text entry
- Academic Project — upload or text entry
- Video — upload
- Official Academic Transcript (unofficial school transcripts will not be accepted) — upload
- Two Faculty Letters of Recommendation — text entry
Once applications are submitted, university administrators must complete the following:
- Review all submitted applications and nominate twenty complete and exceptional applications to the SMSP Office.
- Provide a certification that all twenty students are of good academic standing at the university.