Thirty-two high-achieving secondary school students have been selected to participate in the rigorous 18-month NYU Abu Dhabi Summer Academy enrichment program as recipients of the 2020 Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholarship for Outstanding High School Students.
Now in its ninth year, the program offers an immersive educational experience that prepares Abu Dhabi-based Emirati students for entry into top-tier English-language universities throughout the world — including NYUAD. The students were selected based on consideration of their academic achievement, English-language comprehension, motivation to attend college, leadership and interpersonal skills, and potential for growth and improvement.
The program curriculum focuses on the development of critical thinking, writing, and discussion in English, quantitative reasoning, standardized test preparation, public speaking, and leadership. Taking place during the two summers following grades 10 and 11 and including three semesters of online and in-person instruction throughout the academic year, the Summer Academy introduces students to the academic standards, norms, and values appropriate to the culture of leading international higher education institutions, in addition to providing college admission counseling. This comprehensive educational experience is supported both in the classroom and through extracurricular activities at NYUAD, NYU New York, and NYU Florence, Italy.
“We are committed to investing in our youth and providing them with the tools to develop into capable future leaders across all sectors,” HH Sheikha Mariam bint Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who serves as a key advisor to the Program, said. “This program provides not only academic and intellectual development opportunities to help them succeed, but also builds their confidence and inspires them to reach their potential.”
During the first summer session, students study for approximately three weeks at NYUAD, and have the opportunity to travel to NYU’s academic center in Florence, Italy, for nine additional days of study. The second summer session is similarly divided between Abu Dhabi and NYU New York. In addition to continuing their academic program in Florence and New York, the students engage in cultural activities — such as visits to museums, historical sites, cultural events, and private meetings with local leaders. To provide continued support throughout the academic year, students also participate in online instruction and assignments, SAT test preparation, and two face-to-face weekend programs during grade 11.
“The Summer Academy requires rigorous competition for entry and has proven to be a successful college preparatory program that develops the academic and leadership potential of its students. We look forward to welcoming the newest batch of highly qualified participants in the Class of 2020,” said Executive Director of the Summer Academy and counselor to leadership Diane C. Yu.
- Abdulaziz Abdulla Abdulwahed Ali Alhammadi
- Ahmed Ali Ahmed Alyouh Alshehhi
- Ali Hussein Ali Hassan Makki
- Alya Khaled Mohamed Kuleib Alhabtari
- Amna Bader Mirza Ahmed Alhendi
- Athba Thani Ahmad Thani Altayer
- Dana Rashed Ibraheem Husain Alhosani
- Faisal Khaled Hamwi
- Hamdan Wasef Shahada Khalil Zoghbor
- Hamed Abdulla Mohammedali Sultanalolama Alkhaaldi
- Hussain Mohamed Salman Hussain Alhammadi
- Mariam Ahmed Khalil Mohamed Alkhoori
- Mariam Khalid Mutasim Abdulrahman Almagboul
- Mohammed Sulaiman Ahmed Aldeew Alnaqbi
- Nahyan Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed Alhosani
- Noor Asim Yousif Abdalla Alzarooni
- Rayan Abdalla Hamdan Mohammed Alnaqbi
- Roqaya Mohamed Ahmed Ibrahim Alhosani
- Safia Khalifa Eissa Saeed Almansoori
- Saif Monther Ahmed Mahmoud Almahmoud
- Salman Mohammed Salman Yousef Alhammadi
- Sara Ahmed Mohammed Abbas Alblooshi
- Sara Eisa Saleh Alsarkal Al-Ali
- Sara Khalid Mohammed Abdalla Alrayssi
- Shaikha Ali Saeed Salem Alobaidalla
- Shaikha Ismaeel Ibrahim Ismaeel Al-Ali
- Shamma Ahmed Saeed Sultan Aldhaheri
- Shamma Mohammad Abdulla Alzaffin Almheiri
- Shamsa Hareb Masood Hamad Aldarmaki
- Sultan Abdulla Rashed Salem Jamaan
- Yahya Ahmed Abdulla Saeed Bathaqaili
- Yasmine Mohamedhussam Saleh Abdulhameed Akasha