The NYUAD Faculty Awards and the NYUAD Service Excellence Awards honor distinction in community members who have been recognized for demonstrating core institutional values at an exceptional level. Recipients are emblematic of the values of NYUAD, those who have gone above and beyond in each category.
Selection criteria include achievements that are truly distinctive in each award category and are aligned with the institutional priorities of diversity, equity, and inclusion, global scholarly impact, interdisciplinarity, innovation, and collaboration.
Several members of the NYU Abu Dhabi community were honored with a NYUAD Service Excellence Award. The awards recognize and celebrate NYUAD administrative, academic, and research staff who demonstrate core institutional values at an exceptional level in the performance of their roles.
The members of the Service Excellence Awards Committee thoughtfully evaluated the nominees based on the following criteria: integrity, respect, customer focus, teamwork, adaptability, diversity, and inclusion. Those who hold managerial positions were also evaluated on mentoring, modeling, and motivating.
Several faculty members have been recognized for their transformative research, excellent teaching, and distinguished service to NYUAD.
"The recipients of the awards have demonstrated excellence in all that we value at NYU Abu Dhabi. They have engaged in inspired and dedicated teaching, innovative research, and exemplary service. The recipients have actively embraced the values of diversity and inclusion as fundamental pillars of our Academic Strategy and demonstrated a commitment to community engagement and ethical responsibility,” said Provost Arlie Petters.
Here are the winners for each category:
Service Excellence Awards:
- Abdishakur Abdulle, Associate Director, Public Health Research Center
- Dana Alshaibani, Administration Coordinator, Social Science Division
- Jacqueline Jacob, Manager, Student Professional Development, Career Development Center
- Chris Pye, Director of Production, The Arts Center
- Enas Qudeimat, Head of CGSB Administration and Outreach, Center for Genomics and Systems Biology
- Aasna Sijapati, Office of Social Responsibility Assistant Instructor, Office of Global Education and Outreach
- Katie Stanworth, Communications and Outreach Manager, Science Division
Transformative Research Award
This award is bestowed on standing faculty members at any stage of their research career for transformative and highly impactful research and creative accomplishments that have been published, performed, or otherwise released to the world.
- Kemal Celik, Assistant Professor of Civil and Urban Engineering, Engineering Division
- Marsha Ginsberg, Associate Arts Professor of Theater, Arts and Humanities Division
- Justin Stearns, Professor of Arab Crossroads, Arts and Humanities Division
Award for Teaching Excellence
This award recognizes the outstanding contributions to the educational mission of NYUAD. This award is bestowed on standing faculty who demonstrate excellence in liberal arts education, research mentorship, creativity and innovation in teaching.
- Sohmyung Ha, Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Engineering Division
- Angelyn Hilgendorf, Senior Lecturer, Academic Enrichment
- Ilya Spitkovsky, Professor of Mathematics, Science Division
Distinguished Service Award
This award is for standing faculty who have a history of exemplary service to the University, whether it be through governance or any other service that advances the mission of NYUAD being an innovative, forward looking and inclusive institution.
- Olivier Bochet, Associate Professor of Economics, Social Science Division
- Nizar Habash, Professor of Computer Science, Science Division