NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has concluded its milestone 10th anniversary celebrations with a digital archive of retrospective content now available for the public.
The digital archive features the University’s special 10-year report highlighting its most notable local and global contributions since its formation. It also includes The Origin Story: An Oral History of the Founding of NYU Abu Dhabi 2005-2010, a historic book that showcases the voices of those who have played a key role in the vision and early development of the University. Also available is the documentary style film This is NYU Abu Dhabi by award winning filmmaker Anthony Geffen, alongside a series of lively talks with key speakers including Tamkeen LLC Chair and NYU Trustee Rima Al Mokarrab and NYUAD Vice Chancellor Mariët Westermann, as well as special guests such as Cultural Adviser to HH the President of the UAE HE Zaki Anwar Nusseibeh, UAE Minister of Climate Change and Environment HE Mariam Almheiri, UAE Ambassador to Spain HE Ambassador Majid Al-Suwaidi and Official Spokesperson of the UAE Health Sector Dr. Farida Al Hosani.
The celebrations, which attracted a global audience of more than 1,500 registrants, have been an opportunity for NYUAD, the broader NYU global network, and the wider Abu Dhabi community to reflect upon the University’s many achievements within its first decade.
During the two-day virtual celebrations the Tenth Talks series covered a variety of topics: from the story of the University’s founding and its contributions towards tackling some of humanity’s most pressing issues such as climate change, and the future of global education, to economic diversification through innovation and entrepreneurship in the UAE. Highlights include:
- A special episode on the founding of NYUAD featuring Tamkeen LLC Chair and NYU Trustee Rima Al Mokarrab alongside NYUAD Vice Chancellor Mariët Westermann, UAE Ambassador to the US HE Yousef Al Otaiba, and NYU President Emeritus John Sexton.
- In the episode Contribution in a Crisis: NYUAD’s COVID-19 Response, Dr. Al Hosani Al Hosani expressed her appreciation to NYUAD for its partnership in Abu Dhabi’s response to COVID-19.
- Dr. Jane Goodall was joined by UAE Minister of Climate Change and Environment HE Mariam Almheiri to discuss the importance of educating young people on conservation. HE Almheiri commented on the link between food and water security and environmental issues, highlighting the need to create a system that is more efficient using technology to assist, but most importantly, by promoting citizen stewardship and developing a green mindset. Goodall debated the importance of incorporating environmental learning into all curriculums from a young age and encouraging young people to embrace the natural environment. “What you love, you want to protect,” she said.
- UAE Minister of Culture and Youth HE Noura Bint Mohammed Al Kaabi was joined by NYUAD Vice Chancellor Westermann, Executive Director of The NYUAD Art Gallery Maya Allison, Executive Artistic Director of The Arts Center Bill Bragin, and Director of Louvre Abu Dhabi Manual Rabaté, all of whom shed light on how different cultural institutions adapted to engage their global audiences during COVID-19. They also explored what more arts institutions in the UAE, the US, and elsewhere, can do to collaborate and share their programming among their respective audiences.
- Former French President François Hollande joined NYU President Andrew Hamilton and HE Majid Al Suwaidi to discuss climate change, particularly the significant role of public policy in the transition to a low carbon economy, as well as the UAE’s commitment towards promoting renewable energy and sustainability as a leader in the region and a country that has adopted an active stance in combating climate change
- UAE Minister of State for Artificial Intelligence HE Omar Al Olama explored the progress several government bodies have made in terms of improving the lives of the country’s citizens and residents through the development and implementation of AI applications during a panel titled Innovation Nation: Diversification through AI. He also underlined the crucial role that universities, such as NYUAD, have to play in equipping young talent with the skills and capabilities of the future.