The UAE has one of the highest rates of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease in the world but the reasons for this are unclear. Until now, there have been no studies done in the UAE that can provide reliable answers as to why these diseases are so common in UAE Nationals.
Researchers from a number of universities and hospitals are looking to recruit 20,000 Emiratis to take part in a long-term collaborative health study to understand the root cause of some of the nation’s most pressing questions on public health.
The UAE Healthy Future Study is the first time we have had the opportunity to understand why rates of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are so high in the UAE.
Five fast facts about the UAE Healthy Future Study
- This is the first long-term health study of its kind in the United Arab Emirates.
- The study aims to understand the source and cause of the rising numbers in obesity, diabetes, and heart disease among Emirati Nationals.
- All Emiratis between 18-40 are invited to volunteer to participate.
- Participants will be observed over several years with follow-up online questionnaires and clinic visits. All information collected is confidential.
- The research results will provide directions for non-communicable disease prevention programs.
Visit the UAE Healthy Future Study website for more information or to register as a participant.