University students from throughout the UAE, enrolled in the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholars Program (SMSP), embarked on the trip of a lifetime in February, traveling to New York City and Washington, D.C. to participate in global awareness activities, meet leaders in education and business, and (of course) have some fun.
Upon returning, Abeer Abdulla Esmaeel Almalki Alharmi, Higher Colleges of Technology; Khaled Jamal Alzoubi, UAE University; and Mariam Abdulla Hasan Ahmed Al Haddad, Zayed University sat down to reflect on the trip and shared their top ten highlights.
- NYU campus tour—it's so vibrant!
- Meeting New York Philharmonic President Matthew VanBesien
- Philosophic, interfaith classroom discussions
- Tossing snowballs in Central Park
- A man skiing down a city street!
- Informative group exercises on stereotyping and cultural differences
- Thrilling (and rickety) subway rides
- Feeling tiny in a giant Macy's
- Authentic Italian and Mexican food
- Selfies at Dunkin' Donuts
Established in 2008 by NYU Abu Dhabi in partnership with the government of Abu Dhabi and the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC), SMSP offers students opportunities to expand their knowledge, strengthen leadership skills, and develop cross-cultural perspectives through academic courses, English language training, enrichment programs, and international travel.
The program was designed for academically high-achieving undergraduate students in the junior and senior years of their bachelor’s degrees at Higher Colleges of Technology, UAE University, and Zayed University.