Prepare to succeed and lead in a truly global world.Study at NYUAD
Your journey to NYUAD starts here. Attend an application workshop or information session.Admissions Events
The challenges of our rapidly globalizing world are varied, complex, and cross-disciplinary.Featured Research
- Campus Life
Live the possibilities. Be part of a dynamic community of students from over 115 countries.Take a Tour
Exceptional education. World class research. Community-driven.Our Story
Global Professor of Civil and Urban Engineering Affiliation: NYU Abu Dhabi
Education: PhD, Renselear Polytechnic Institute, NY; MS, Rensselaer Polytecnic Institute, NY
Professor Abdoun is the Thomas Iovino Chair Professor, Director, of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Geo-Centrifuge Center, and Global Distinguished Professor at NYUAD. Professor Abdoun research interests cover geotechnical engineering, Advanced Field Monitoring, Centrifuge & Full-scale Testing, Soil-Structure Interaction, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Satellite Based InSAR Remote sensing, Hurricane loading, and offshore systems. Professor Abdoun received several awards from professional societies, including the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award for best journal publication, Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Excellence in Research Prize, and the US Army “Commander’s Award and Medal for Public Service.” He is also the recipient of several educational society awards, including the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) north region “Outstanding Teaching Award. He authored over 200 technical publications.
- Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education, Thomas Iovino Chair Professor, Technical Director, RPI's Nees, Geo-Centrifuge Research Center, School of Engineering, Renselaer Polytechnic Institute (Jan 2011-Aug. 2015)
- Interim Department Head, Thomas Iovino Chair Professor, Technical Director, RPI's Nees, Geo-Centrifuge Research Center. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Renssellaer
Renselaer Polytechnic Instutute (Jan 2009-Aug 2010)
- Associate Professor and Associate Director, RPI's Nees, Geo-Centrifuge Research Center. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Renssellaer Renselaer Polytechnic Instutute (2006-2009)
- Assistant Professor and Associate Director, RPI's Nees, Geo-Centrifuge Research Center. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Renssellaer Renselaer Polytechnic Instutute (2004-2006)
- Assistant Professor and Manager, RPI's Nees, Geo-Centrifuge Research Center. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Renssellaer Renselaer Polytechnic Instutute (1998-2004)
- Conduct evaluation of the Vulnerability of Offshore Pipelines to Blast Loading for HESS Co., (2008-2009).
- Consultant, South Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) on the design and construction of a state-of-the-art centrifuge facility. The planned KAIST facility will include a geotechnical centrifuge of 5.0 m radius equipped with 2D shaking table and in-flight robot.
- Review and evaluate the design and performance of 1D shaker and laminar container for US Army Corps of Engineers Centrifuge Facility (largest centrifuge in the world).
- Conduct evaluation of the Offshore Geotechnical Investigation of Wind Farms for General Electric (GE), (2003-2004).
- Consultant, US Army Corps of Engineers on Liquefaction and Seismic Embankment Issues.
- Participated in construction of pile foundations and conduct several pile load tests, (1991-1992).
- Participated in structural and foundation design of multistory building in downtown Cairo, (1991-1992).
- Spring of 2013, elected Faculty member of Chi Epsilon national Civil Engineering honor society founded in 1922.
- Scientific Committee Member for the 2nd European Conference on FLOODrisk Management, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Nov. 20th-22nd, 2012.
- Appointed member of the international committee for "Safety of Levees, Dams, Shore Protection and Land Reclamation.”
- Elected Member of the NEES Consortium Advisory Committee (2009-2012).
- Elected President of the NEES Equipment Sites Forum (2009-2012).
- Associate Editor, Canadian Geotechnical Journal (2007-2010)
- Member, ASCE Geo Institute Committee for Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics
- Editorial Board Member, for the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Member, Editorial Board for the International Journal of Physical Modeling in Geotechnics
- Member, Editorial Board for the International Journal of Geomechanics & Engineering
- Elected Member of The NY Academy of Science 2008.
- Elected Member of the NEES Equipment Site Operations Committee (SOC) (2004-2009).
- Member, American Society for Civil Engineers
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education
- Member, Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering (CUREE)
- Member, NEES Consortium and USUCGER
- Member, Egyptian Society for Civil Engineers
- Review papers submitted for publication in ASCE, ASTM and ASME Journals.
- Participated in NSF proposal review panels.