- Campus Life
November 15, 2017
Student Nathan Lui received the International Student Chapter travel grant to attend the ACS meeting in New Orleans in March 2018.
October 15, 2017
Student Ibrahim Tahir started his internship with the Naumov Group after being accepted into SMSP (Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholar Program). The program also involves taking courses during the year (Leadership, Public speaking, US Foreign Policies, Critical Thinking, and Persuasive Writing) and upon successfully graduating from the program (August 2018), he will be awarded a scholarship for graduate school.
October 15, 2017
Research Associate Ejaz Ahmed started his month long visit to work with our collaborators at Novosibirsk State University in Russia.
October 10, 2017
Dr. Jans Van Esch from University of Delft visited NYUAD and the Naumov group and gave a lecture entitled Fuel-Driven Active Materials.
August 22, 2017
Professor Panče Naumov attended the 24th Congress of the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr), in Hyderabad, India and gave an invited lecture entitled "Disintegrative vs Restorative Effects during Motion, Deformation and Self-Healing of Dynamic Molecular Crystals".
August 8, 2017
Manuscript "Mechanistic Investigations of the 2-Coumaranone Chemiluminescence" from members of the Naumov Group and collaborators has been accepted for publication by Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics journal.
August 1, 2017
Research Scientist Patrick Commins visited the Bruker facilities in Yokohama, Japan learning electron spin resonance spectroscopy. He then spent a month at University of Lethbridge in Canada learning advanced NMR spectroscopy techniques.
July 23, 2017
Postdoctoral Associate, Stefan Schramm attended and presented a poster entitled "Photoinduced Solid State Decarboxylation of N,N-Dimethylaminolucifer in Single Crystals" at the Gordon Research Conference, Bates College, Lewiston, USA from July 22-28th.
July 6, 2017
Chemical Communications accepted the Naumov Group manuscript "Metal-Coated Thermosalient Crystals as Electrical Fuses".
June 27, 2017
Advanced Materials has accepted the Naumov Group manuscript "Vapomechanically Responsive Motion of Microchannel-Programmed Actuators".
June 16, 2017
ACIE has issued a press release on work from the Naumov Group entitled “Raucous Crystals”.
June 16, 2017
CrystEngComm has accepted the Naumov Group paper “Ionic Cocrystals of Molecular Saccharin”.
June 14, 2017
DESY recently highlighted work from the Naumov Group with article on "Jumping crystals produce sound waves".
June 13, 2017
Stefan Schramm, Postdoctoral Associate, has been awarded the Alan R. Katritzky award for synthetic heterocyclic chemistry. The award is endowed with €1000 and will be awarded by the president of the University of Jena on July 6th. Congratulations to Stefan.
June 7, 2017
Chemical Communications has accepted the Naumov Group paper “A Stable Gold(I)–Enyne Species Obtained by Alkyne Carboauration in a Complex Rearrangement”.
May 29, 2017
The manuscript "Direct Observation of Asphaltene Nanoparticles on Model Mineral Substrates" from Gijo Raj, Alain Lesimple, Jamie Whelan and Panče Naumov has just been accepted by Langmuir for publication.
May 24, 2017
Angewandte Chemie International Edition have accepted for publication the manuscript "Acoustic Emission from Organic Martensites" from Manas K. Panda, Martin Etter, Robert E. Dinnebier, and Panče Naumov.
May 22, 2017
Postdoctoral Associate Stefan Schramm has been awarded the Frans De Schryver ACS Travel Grant to attend the Methods and Applications in Fluorescence (MAF) Conference in Bruges, Belgium in September 2017. Congratulations to Stefan.
May 19, 2017
Postdoctoral Associate Cesar Carrasco-Lopez attended a meeting at the University of Strasbourg, organized by Dr. Pascal Didier, to coordinate with our collaborators on the future strategies and approaches, relating to the Bioluminescence project, that will be developed during the second half of 2017.
May 18, 2017
The Journal of Organic Chemistry accepted the manuscript "From Highly Fluorescent Donors to Strongly Absorbing Acceptors: The Tunable Properties of Fluorubines" from Dominique Mario Gampe, Stefan Schramm, Steffen Ziemann, Matthias Westerhausen, Helmar Görls, Panče Naumov and Rainer Beckert for publication.
May 17, 2017
The Naumov research group published six out of the 12 papers listed under the "Chemistry" category in the United Arab Emirates in the Nature Index 2016, for the period between February 1 2016 and January 31 2017. This accounts for 70.5% of the chemistry publications in the UAE in both fractional count (FC) and weighed fractional count (WFC).
May 8, 2017
NYUAD students Ieva Liepuoniute, Nathan Lui and Alvaro Yanez competed in the 5th United Arab Emirates Undergraduate Research Competition, at Abu Dhabi University, Abu Dhabi. Each gave an oral presentation on research carried out in the Naumov Lab. Ieva's talk was entitled "Photochromism of dihydroazulenes: Investigating the reaction mechanism and thermodynamic properties in solid state", Nathan's was entitled "Humidity-responsive luminescent switching in oxyluciferin-agarose thin films as a basis for optical humidity sensors" and Alvaro's "Morphokinematics of Stipa epilosa hygroactuation".
April 30, 2017
Dylan Shields from Anna Gudmundsdottir's Research Group at the University of Cincinnati visited for two weeks to join our team for collaborative research.
April 26, 2017
Distinguished Research Professor Kenneth Harris from Cardiff University, Wales visited the Naumov Group and gave two lectures to researchers on campus. One entitled “Structure Determination of Molecular Solids from Powder X-ray Diffraction Data: Current Opportunities and "State-of-the-Art" and the other entitled “New Experimental Techniques for Exploring Crystallization Pathways and Structural Properties of Solids”.
April 5, 2017
Cesar Carrasco-Lopez, Postdoctoral Associate from the Naumov group, was awarded beamtime at the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, US and attended from 5‒7 April to carry out research testing on crystals.
April 4, 2017
Postdoctoral Associate Philip Rodenbough from the Naumov group has been awarded beam time at the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago. Allocated slot will be scheduled for some time between June and August.
March 1, 2017
Professor Toru Asahi from Waseda University visited the group for several days during March 2017.
February 27, 2017
NYUAD highlights the work of Naumov group postdoc Philip Rodenbough, who is working on a project to improve digital chemistry literacy in Kenyan schools.
April 21, 2017
Philip Rodenbough, Postdoctoral Associate with the Naumov group, gave an interview to the Ras Al Khaimah Media Office sharing his enthusiasm for the IWAM conference.
February 14, 2017
Panče Naumov and colleagues were recognized for their work on firefly bioluminescence by the Human Frontier Science Program.
February 8, 2017
Our manuscript entitled “Flexibility in a Molecular Crystal Accomplished by Structural Modulation of Carbohydrate Epimers” has been accepted by the journal Crystal Growth and Design.
January 31, 2017
Takuya Taniguchi, a chemistry PhD student from Professor Toru Asahi’s lab in Waseda University, Japan is visiting the Naumov Group until the end of March to do research. Welcome, Takuya!
January 30, 2017
Professor Isabelle Navizet from University Paris-Est-Marne-la Vallee visited NYUAD and gave a lecture entitled “Excited States and Light Emission in Firefly Bioluminescence System: A Theoretical Study” to researchers at NYUAD as part of the Chemistry Seminar Series.
January 28, 2017
Collaborator Dr Yasuo Mitani from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Japan visited the Naumov Group from January 28-31.
January 25, 2017
Professor Panče Naumov was appointed to the Scientific Advisory Board of the International Society of Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence (ISBC).
January 24, 2017
Associate Professor Panče Naumov and other collaborators have had their manuscript accepted for publication. The manuscript entitled "Oxyluciferin Derivatives: A Toolbox of Environment-Sensitive Fluorescence Probes for Molecular and Cellular Applications" was accepted by The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Part B: Biophysical Chemistry, Biomaterials, Liquids, and Soft Matter, Section B: Biophysical Chemistry and Biomolecules.
January 24, 2017
Associate Professor Panče Naumov and other collaborators have had their manuscript accepted for publication, entitled entitled “Synthesis of Tetraoxygenated Terephthalates via a Dichloroquinone Route: Characterization of Cross-Conjugated Liebermann Betaine Intermediates,” in Helvetica Chimica Acta.
January 22, 2017
Sahr Khan, a Postdoctoral Researcher from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, visited the Naumov Group and also gave a lecture entitled “Sustainable Energy by Direct H2O/CO2 to Fuel Conversion” to researchers at NYUAD.
January 16, 2017
Dr Sunil Kumar from NYUNY visited NYUAD and gave a lecture entitled “Foldamer-based Approach to Probe the Mechanistic Pathways of Protein Misfolding” as part of the Chemistry Seminar Series.
January 11, 2017
Associate Professor Panče Naumov with group members and other collaborators have had their manuscript accepted for publication. Manuscript entitled “Probing Structural Perturbation in a Bent Molecular Crystal with Synchrotron Infrared Microspectroscopy and Periodic Density Functional Theory Calculations” was accepted by the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
January 11, 2017
Associate Professor of Chemistry Panče Naumov attended the QAFCO-Texas A&M at Qatar Conference 2017 and gave a lecture entitled “Dynamic Molecular Single Crystals.” The conference was held in Doha, Qatar, January 11-13.
December 23, 2016
Ieva Liepuoniute, undergraduate researcher in the Naumov Group, has been offered admission to the doctoral program at the UCLA Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry with an Excellence in Chemistry Fellowship. Congratulations to her!
December 16, 2016
Tabinah Faisal, Tamara Gjorgjieva, and Veronika Li completed research projects in the Naumov Group for their NYUAD FOS-2 course. Their projects won top honors at their class’s Crystal Symposium. Well done!
December 15, 2016
The Naumov Group has been recognized with honorable mention by the LyncéeTec Innovation Challenge in 4D Profilimetry Applications. See Alain Lesimple’s entry, “formation of nanoaggregates by evaporation of solvent,” here.
November 24, 2016
Professor Xutang Tao from the Institute of Crystal Materials and State Key Laboratory of Crystal Materials, Shandong University, China visited NYUAD as part of the Chemistry Seminar Series and gave an talk entitled "Phase Transition and Crystal Growth of Organic and Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Perovskite Materials".
November 23, 2016
Manuscript entitled “Excited-State Dynamics of Oxyluciferin in Firefly Luciferase” with authors Joris Snellenburg, Sergey Laptenok, Richard DeSa, Panče Naumov, Kyril Solntsev has been accepted by the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
November 21, 2016
The Naumov group visited the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA) in Dubai.
November 18, 2016
Dr Panče Naumov attended the First General Body Meeting of the UAE Chapter of the American Chemical Society held at NYUAD and presented invited talk “Materials Science at New York University Abu Dhabi.”
November 14, 2016
Dr Stefan Schramm appeared on CNN to talk about the Super Moon.
November 5, 2016
Dr Panče Naumov attended the 4th Arab-American Frontiers of Science Engineering and Medicine Symposium at Masdar, Abu Dhabi.
October 30, 2016
An article regarding Patrick Commins’s work on self-healing crystals was published in The National.
September 30, 2016
Our collaborators from other UAE research institutions were awarded for their achievements based on collaborative research with Naumov group: Dr. Na’il Saleh Ibrahim (Department of Chemistry, UAE University) was awarded by UAEU for his distinguished research works and outstanding performance in recent top-ranked publications, and Dr. Jolly Jacob (Abu Dhabi University) was awarded by ADU the service award for 2015-2016. Congratulations to our collaborators!
September 30, 2016
Dr. Panče Naumov was awarded tenure at New York University Abu Dhabi.
September 26, 2016
Work by Patrick Commins, Hideyuki Hara, and Panče Naumov on self-healing crystals was highlighted in Nature Middle East and many other media sources. Other English Media: NYUAD, Futurity and Gulf News Arabic Media: 24.ae, Al Khaleej, Al Watan, Dot Emirates, Emaratyah, Stone Mine, Ait News, Post Via, Thabbet, Al Mostakshf
September 16, 2016
Patrick Commins’s work on self-healing crystals was published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition.
September 13, 2016
Durga Prasad Karothu's work on terephthalic acid was published in Journal of the American Chemical Society.
September 6, 2016
Dr. Stefan Schramm’s work on coumaranones has been highlighted in C&EN news, Chemistry in Pictures.
September 5, 2016
Prof Yoshihiro Ohmiya and Dr Mitani from the “National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology”, Tsukuba, Japan visited and both gave a lecture, Prof. Ohmiya on “Bioluminescence of Dinoflagellate” and Dr Mitani on "Luminous animals from fields to the Lab".
August 31, 2016
Professor Panče Naumov concluded a three month period in Germany carrying out research work at the Max Planck Institute in Stuttgart as part of his Research Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
August 2, 2016
Former student Alex Larkin was accepted into the WWU Masters in Teaching program through Everett Community College in the US.
July 21, 2016
Manuscript "Bioinspired Molecular Lantern: Tuning the Firefly Oxyluciferin Emission with Host-Guest Chemistry" with authors Na'il Saleh, Abdul Rahman Ba Suwaid, Ahmad Alhalabi, Ahmed Z. A. Abuibaid, Oleg Maltsev, Lukas Hintermann and Panče Naumov was accepted for publication in Journal of Physical Chemistry B.
July 11, 2016
Dr. Naumov visited University of Colorado at Boulder and discussed the opportunities for collaboration.
July 8, 2016
Manuscript "Unexpected Formation of a Fused Double Cycle Trinuclear Gold(I) Complex Supported by ortho-Phenyl Metallated Aryl-Diphosphine Ligands and Strong Aurophilic Interactions" written by Csaba Jobbágy, Péter Baranyai, Pál Szabó, Tamás Holczbauer, Barbara Rácz, Liang Li, Panče Naumov and Andrea Deák was accepted for publication in Dalton Transactions.
July 5, 2016
Dr Jianbo Xie and co-authors Liang Li, Anastassiya Knyazeva, James Weston and Panče Naumov's paper entitled "Mechanically Robust, Chemically Inert Superhydrophobic Charcoal Surfaces" was accepted for publication in Chemical Communications.
July 4, 2016
Durga Prasad Karothu visited Professor Phillip Coppens Lab at the University at Buffalo in New York.
June 22, 2016
Dr. Manas Panda’s and coauthors work entitled “Strong and Anomalous Thermal Expansion Precedes the Thermosalient Effect in Dynamic Molecular Crystals” has been accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
June 6, 2016
As a winner of the Research Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Dr. Naumov carried out research work at the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Stuttgart, Germany during June and will return in August for a further month’s research work.
May 29, 2016
Stefan Schramm was awarded the Marlene Deluca Award for outstanding contributions at the International Symposium on Bioluminescence & Chemiluminescence in Tsukuba, Japan.
May 4, 2016
Dr. Francisco Vargas from Rice University, USA visited the Naumov lab.
April 11, 2016
An article describing the establishment of the new UAE chapter of the American Chemical Society during the inaugural Middle Eastern Materials Science Conference in Abu Dhabi was posted in C&EN news, NYUAD website and NYU Chemistry Website.
March 30, 2016
Manuscript "Synergistic Action of Thermoresponsive and Hygroresponsive Elements Elicits Rapid and Directional Response from a Bilayer Actuator" from authors Dr. Lidong Zhang, Israel Desta and Professor Panče Naumov has been published in Chemical Communications. The paper was selected to be highlighted on the back cover page of the journal.
March 22, 2016
The First Middle-Eastern Materials Science Conference at New York University Abu Dhabi took place from March 22-24. Organized by Professor Pance Naumov and Jane Toye and supported by the NYUAD Institute the conference included 39 invited talks presented by distinguished scholars from the US, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East as well as 32 poster presentations.
Members of the Naumov Group also participated in the conference with Dr. Patrick Commins and Dr. Durga Prasad Karothu giving oral talks and Dr. Manas Panda, Dr. Lidong Zhang, Dr. Gijo Raj, Dr. Jianbo Xie, Israel Desta (Research Assistant), and student Marieh Al-Handawi presenting posters. The conference also marked the inauguration of the United Arab Emirates American Chemical Society Chapter with Donna Nelson, the current ACS President giving a speech and handing over the Charter to founder of the Chapter, Professor Panče Naumov.
March 19, 2016
Collaborator Dr. Champika V. Hettiarachchi from University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka visited the Naumov Group from 19th March to 1st April for collaborative research.
March 19, 2016
Collaborator Dr. Stanislav Chizhik from Novosibirsk State University in Russia visited the Naumov Group from 19th March to 2nd April for collaborative research.
March 18, 2016
Professor Naumov attended the 44th Symposium for Research Award Winners of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Bamberg, Germany on March 18th to receive his award.
March 14, 2016
Professor Naumov hosted Dwayne Miller from the Max Planck Institute, Germany and University of Toronto, Canada, as part of the Chemistry Seminar Series. Dwayne gave an oral talk on “Mapping Atomic Motions with Ultra bright Electrons: The Chemists’ Gedanken Experiment Enters the Lab Frame” to the Science department researchers.
February 21, 2016
Panče Naumov, Manas Panda, Durga Prasad Karothu, Patrick Commins, Maria Al-Handawi, and Israel Desta attended the International Workshop on Advanced Materials conference at Ras Al-Khaimah.
January 26, 2016
A report featuring student Marieh Al-Handawi appeared in U.S. News and World Report relating to her passion for chemistry and the varying careers opportunities that having a degree in Chemistry can bring.
January 17, 2016
Stefan Schramm, a graduate from the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena visited the group and lab as part of a 4-week scholar program. During his visit he gave a presentation entitled “Chemiluminescent 2-Coumaranones.”
January 10, 2017
The Naumov Group received the ADEC Award for Research Excellence (A2RE) 2015. This is a grant award for two years for research on project entitled “A New Method for Direct Analysis of Formation of Asphaltene Scale in Abu Dhabi Oil Reservoirs.”
December 21, 2015
The Naumov Group project entitled “A New Method for Direct Analysis of Formation of Asphaltene Scale in Abu Dhabi Oil Reservoirs” was accepted for funding by the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC).
December 16, 2015
Pance Naumov, together with Tim White, Bart Kahr, and Yanlei Yu organized a microsympoisum on "Mechanically Responsive Materials" at the 2015 International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem), Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, US.
November 29, 2015
The “Single-Crystal-to-Single-Crystal Transformations” themed issue which Professor Pance Naumov edited has now been published online in CrystEngComm, a Royal Society of Chemistry journal. There were 24 contributions to the themed issue paper.
November 16, 2015
The manuscript “Rapid and Robust Spatiotemporal Dynamics of the First-order Phase Transition in Crystals of the Organic-inorganic Perovskite (C12H25NH3)2PbI4” Aymen Yangui, Mouhamadou Sy, Liang Li, Younes Abid, Panče Naumov, and Kamel Boukheddaden has been accepted for publication in Scientific Reports (an open access journal published by the Nature Publishing Group). Dr. Liang Li is a member of the Core Technology Platform (CTP) team, and has worked with Dr. Naumov on this research project.
November 15, 2015
The manuscript “Directed Motility of Hygroresponsive Biomimetic Actuators” Lidong Zhang, Stanislav Chizhik, Yunze Wen, and Panče Naumov has been accepted for publication in the journal Advanced Functional Materials (IF = 11.8). Yunze Wen is NYUAD graduate (Class of 2015) and this research was part of his Capstone experience.
November 12, 2015
Professor Panče Naumov visited New York University New York and gave a lecture entitled “Dynamic Molecular Single Crystals.”
November 4, 2015
The manuscript Mechanically Responsive Molecular Crystals from Panče Naumov, Stanislav Chizhik, Manas Panda, Naba K. Nath, and Elena Boldyreva was accepted for publication in Chemical Reviews and was selected as cover page.
October 29, 2015
The manuscript Mechanically Responsive Molecular Crystals from Panče Naumov, Stanislav Chizhik, Manas Panda, Naba K. Nath and Elena Boldyreva was accepted for publication in Chemical Reviews.
October 20, 2015
Professor Naumov was invited and participated in a ceremony as a promoter of Academician Gligor Jovanovski’s “Collected Papers” at the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts from 20-22 October in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia.
October 7, 2015
Oliver Mullins, Science Advisor, Schlumberger visited NYUAD and the Naumov group. He gave a public lecture entitled “Petroleomics: Chemistry of the Underworld”.
September 6, 2015
Lidong Zhang, Jianbo Xie, Marieh Al-Handawi and Pance Naumov were featured in the education section of the Gulf News.
August 30, 2015
Panče Naumov was featured as one of UAE’s innovators in an issue of The National.
August 20, 2015
NYU student Ieva Liepuoniute, supported by the Naumov Group and a grant from the ACS, and representing the Student Chapter of the ACS in the UAE attended the 250th American Chemical Society National Meeting and Expo and also attended the International Student Chapters meeting held in Boston, USA from August 16 to 20, 2015.
August 15, 2015
Lidong Zhang and Pance Naumov’s work was featured in Masdar Institute press release.
August 13, 2015
Dr. Patrick Commins visited the Ward group at New York University to carry out research work from July 28 to August 13, 2015.
September 10, 2015
Lidong Zhang and Pance Naumov’s collaboration with Abu Dhabi University was featured in the August edition of Abu Dhabi University's E-Newsletter.
July 27, 2015
Lidong Zhang’s Angewandte Chemie paper Light- and Humidity-Induced Motion of an Acidochromic Film was highlighted in the front-piece section of the journal.
July 21, 2015
Panče Naumov accepted the associate editor position for RSC Advances, a journal published by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
July 15, 2015
Angewandte highlighted the news of Professor Naumov being awarded the Alexander Von Humboldt fellowship for research in Germany.
July 11, 2015
Pance Naumov’s Humboldt Research Award was recognized in Gulf News.
June 28, 2015
Haoran Liang and his recent publication in Nature Communication was featured on the NYUAD website.
June 22, 2015
Lidong’s article in Nature Communications was featured in Nature Middle East.
June 6, 2015
Marieh Al-Handawi's first place in chemistry at the Third United Arab Emirates Undergraduate Student Research Competition was recognized on the NYUAD blog.
June 1, 2015
Our former group member and collaborator, Tomče Runčevski from the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Germany was awarded the Otto-Hahn Medal from the Max Planck Society.
May 21, 2015
Marieh Al-Handawi, Momina Raza, Noor Debbouza, Patrick Commins, and Panče Naumov attended the Third United Arab Emirates Undergraduate Student Research Competition (UGSRC) at Abu Dhabi University. Marieh Al-Handawi won first prize in the Chemistry category.
May 20, 2015
Professor Joel Bernstein, an NYUAD Global Distinguished Professor, visited and gave two invited lectures "Disappearing Polymorphs" and "Chemistry in the Courtroom."
April 22, 2015
Dr. Naumov was awarded a fellowship by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to conduct research in Germany.
April 20, 2015
Following an invitation, Dr. Lidong Zhang visited the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research Department in Mainz, Germany. During his visit to the Institute he gave an invited oral presentation on “Bio-Inspired Multiresponsive Polymer Composites for Energy Conversion”
April 16, 2015
The Naumov Group's work on firefly bioluminescence was featured in an article in the Human Frontier Science Program Success Stories website entitled “Guiding light: the mysteries of firefly bioluminescence unfold.”
April 15, 2015
The World Congress and Expo on Nanotechnology and Materials Science was held in Dubai. Three members of the group attended and gave oral lectures. Dr. Panče Naumov presented “Smart Single Crystals,” Dr. Manas Panda presented “Adaptive and Actuating Single Crystals: Towards Smart Materials and Artificial Molecular Machinery,” and Dr. Lidong Zhang presented “Photogatinged Humidity-Driven Motility.”
March 31, 2015
Patrick Commins was awarded the IUCr Young Scientists Award of ICCOSS 2015.
March 26, 2015
The invited article "In situ Crystallization and Crystal Structure Determination of Chlorobenzene" was accepted for publication in the Festschrift issue of Macedonian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in honor of Professor Gligor Jovanovski.
March 24, 2015
Professor Bill Jones from Cambridge University visited and gave a lecture entitled "Studying Pharmaceutical Solid Forms Using Atomic Force Microscopy and Transmission Electron Microscopy. What do we learn from these techniques?"
March 11, 2015
NYUAD hosted the Royal Society of Chemistry Members Symposium entitled "Advances in the Energy, Water and Environmental Sectors."
February 26, 2015
The article "Photosalient Behavior of Photoreactive Crystals" was accepted for publication in the Chemistry of Materials.
February 23, 2015
The article entitled “Structure-Reactivity Correlations and Mechanistic Understanding of the Photorearrangement and Photosalient Effect of α-Santonin and its Derivatives in Solutions, Crystals and Nanocrystalline Suspensions” written by Patrick Commins, Arunkumar Natarajan, Chao-Kuan Tsai, Saeed I. Khan, Naba K. Nath, Panče Naumov, and Miguel A. Garcia-Garibay was accepted for publication in Crystal Growth & Design Journal.
February 22, 2015
The Naumov Group, including students, attended and presented at the International Workshop on Advanced Materials (IWAM 2015).
January 30, 2015
The Naumov Group’s work exploring plastic bending crystals of hexachlorobenzene was featured in Nature India.
January 24, 2015
Panče Naumov, has been invited to join the Advisory Board of CrystEngComm (a journal published by the Royal Society of Chemistry).
January 22, 2015
Manas Panda visited the Japan Synchrotron Radiation facility, SPring-8 located at Harima Science Park City, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan.
January 11, 2015
Naumov Research Group manuscript entitled "Spatially Resolved Analysis of Short-Range Structure Perturbations in a Plastically Bent Molecular Crystal" was published in Nature Chemistry. The paper was also highlighted on the portal Nature Middle East.
January 6, 2015
The Naumov Group in collaboration with researchers from the UAE University was awarded a research grant from the UAE University Research Council towards the study of smart biomimetic superhydrophobic self-cleaning materials.
January 4, 2015
Four undergraduate students, namely Momina Raza and Debbouza Nor El Houda (both ADU), Marieh Al Handawi (UAEU), and Yunze Wen (NYUAD) — who are all working on projects within the Naumov lab were awarded travel grants to present posters at the International Workshop for Advanced Materials conference in February.
December 31, 2014
Panče Naumov visited Professor Toru Asahi’s lab at Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan.
December 15, 2014
Dr. Naumov gave an Invited Lecture “Single Crystals on the Move: Photodiffraction and Kinematic Analysis of Photoactive Crystals” at the 8th Singapore International Chemical Conference (SICC-8), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
December 11, 2014
Dr. Yaser Greish from UAEU visited to give a seminar on nanofibers and electrospinning.
December 7, 2014
Dr. Naumov attended the 2nd RSC Gulf Symposium “Design and Applications of Advanced Materials” at the University of Sharjah, UAE and gave an Invited Lecture "Smart Crystals and Polymers."
November 25, 2014
The Naumov Group was awarded the University-Industry Research Collaboration Award (U-IRCA) 2014 from the UAE National Research Foundation for proposal on "Smart Biomimetic Superhydrophobic Self-Cleaning Materials."
November 11, 2014
Panče Naumov was awarded the APA Prize for Young Chemists at the 8th Asian Photochemistry Conference held in Trivandrum, India.
November 4, 2014
The Naumov Group was awarded a research grant from ADNOC. This project proposes the purposeful design of polyaromatic charge-transfer compounds as efficient inhibitors for the selective interaction and stabilization of asphaltenes in crude oil.
November 1, 2014
Patrick Commins joined the Naumov group after completing his Ph.D. studies at UCLA with Professor Garcia-Garibay.
October 23, 2014
An article “The Phenomena of Exploding Crystals” appeared on the NYUAD Salaam Blog.
October 19, 2014
Professor Yoshihiro Ohmiya from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan visited the group and whilst visiting gave a lecture on “Basics and Application of Bioluminescence.”
September 4, 2014
Our paper “Colossal positive and negative thermal expansion and thermosalient effect in a pentamorphic organometallic martensite” which was published online in Nature Communications on September 4, 2014, was highlighted on the website of the Max Planck Gesellschaft. Congratulations to Manas K. Panda, Tomce Runčevski, Subash Chandra Sahoo, Alexei A. Belik, Naba K. Nath, Robert E. Dinnebier, and Panče Naumov.
September 3, 2014
Panče Naumov visited the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture in Dubai.
August 29, 2015
Professor Dr. Roland Boese from SciConsult, Germany visited and gave a lecture entitled "At the limits — in situ crystallization for structure determination" to the group as well as training in using the OHCD.
August 14, 2014
Dr. Naumov gave an Invited Lecture “Firefly Bioluminescence: A Spectroscopic Perspective” at the 2 48th National American Chemical Society Meeting, Moscone Center West Building, San Francisco, US .
August 7, 2014
Several members of the group attended and gave an Invited Lecture at the 23rd Congress and Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
August 4, 2014
Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 5907—5911, was highlighted in the following media:
National University of Singapore Faculty of Science
EEtimes Europe , Solar Daily , Wireless Design & Development , Red Orbit , E&T Magazine , Science Daily , Nano Werk , Phys Org , Science Newsline
July 7, 2014
7th - Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 5907—5911, was highlighted by the portal Nature Middle East. “Process behind jumping crystals unlocked.”
July 7, 2014
Dr. Naumov presented "Keto or Enol — That is the Question: Recent Progress in Spectra-Structure Correlations of Firefly Oxyluciferin and its Derivatives" at the 14th Human Frontiers Scientific Program Conference (HFSP) in Lugano, Switzerland.
July 2, 2014
Dr Naumov gave a presentation on "Macroscopic Actuation of Single Crystals With Light" at the Telluride Workshop “Breaking and Making Bonds with Light,” Telluride, Colorado, US.
June 30, 2014
The lab and office move to the new campus on Saadiyat Island began. New Address:
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD), Experimental Research Building (ERB), Building C1, Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
June 27, 2014
Dr. Naumov presented "Keto or Enol — That is the Question: Recent Progress in Spectra-Structure Correlations of Firefly Oxyluciferin and its Derivatives" at the 18th International Symposium on Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence in Uppsala, Sweden.
June 6, 2014
Well done to Postdoctoral Associate Naba Kamal Nath who was one of four who were awarded a prize for their poster contribution at the Gordon Research Conference on Crystal Engineering held in the US. Naba's poster "Quantification of Photomechanical Bending of Organic Single Crystals" was one of over 70 poster contributions.
June 2, 2014
Dr. Naumov presented "Bending, Twisting, Hopping and other Acrobatics of Molecular Crystals" at the Gordon Research Conference, New Hampshire, US.
June 2, 2014
Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie, 2014, 53, 5907—5911 was press-released on the NUS website.
May 22, 2014
Congratulations to our Senior student Haoran Liang, who was awarded first prize and (AED 10,000) in the Natural and Health Sciences category of The Second United Arab Emirates Undergraduate Student Research Competition (UGSRC), held at Abu Dhabi University in Abu Dhabi, under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the UAE. Haoran participated along with over 530 students from 21 Universities from the UAE who presented their research projects and came up first with his Capstone research project "Smart Hybrid Polymer that Converts Humidity, Light and Heat Mechanical Work."
May 22, 2014
Professor Naumov participated in the jury panel of the 2nd Undergraduate Research competition.
May 20, 2014
Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 5907—5911, on "Popcorn-like Explosion of Single Crystals Explained" was highlighted on the National University of Singapore's Science page "Single Crystals dance under UV Light"
and on Guidechem "Popcorn-like Explosion of Single Crystals Explained."
May 19, 2014
A large group of students from Abu Dhabi University with mentor Dr. Jolly Jacob visited Professor Naumov and were given a tour of the CSE.
May 5, 2014
Prof. Naumov visited Jordan University of Science and Technology and gave a lecture "Materials Science Research at New York University Abu Dhabi."
May 13, 2014
Mohammed Yahia, Editor for Nature Middle East visited Professor Naumov.
May 12, 2014
Dr. Ed Brothers, Texas A&M University, Qatar visited the group to discuss collaborative project work.
May 5, 2015
Dr. Kamel Boukheddaden, Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin, visited our group and provided a lecture entitled “Spin-Crossover Phenomena: From Equilibrium to Non-equilibrium Properties” as part of the Chemistry Science Seminar Series.
May 1, 2014
Professor Naumov gave a lecture “Materials Science Research at New York University Abu-Dhabi” at the UAE University in Al Ain.
April 24, 2014
Dr. Justin Thomas, Associate Professor, College of Sustainable Sciences and Humanities, Zayed University visited and delivered a lecture on "Psychological Well-bing in the Gulf States" as part of the UAE Collaboration Seminar Series.
April 22, 2014
Professor Naumov gave a talk on "Materials Science Research at New York University Abu Dhabi" at the Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS, Pilani), Dubai campus.
April 12, 2014
The group had a visit from the STEM unit of NYUAD and gave a tour of the Chemistry Lab.
March 31, 2014
In recognition of Professor Pance Naumov winning the prestigious APA (Asian and Oceanian Photochemistry Association) Prize for Young Scientists 2013 an article has featured on Salaam: The NYUAD Blog entitled "NYUAD Professor's Work on Light-Induced Motion Wins International Recognition"
March 31, 2014
Dr. Kyril M. Solntsev from Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, US visited the CSE and and presented a lecture entitled "Photoinduced processes in the Green Fluorescent Protein and its synthetic chromophores" to interested researchers.
March 27, 2014
Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, on "Popcorn-like explosion of single crystals explained" was highlighted by Chemistry World (The Royal Society of Chemistry, UK) and other chemistry portals: Topix Singapore, BioPortfolio, Real Clear Science and e!Science News
March 24, 2014
Our paper "Single Crystals Popping Under UV Light: A Photosalient Effect Triggered by a [2+2] Cycloaddition Reaction" was featured on the front cover page of Angewandte Chemie International Edition.
March 20, 2014
Dr. Matthew Martin, Assistant Professor, Applied Mathematics & Sciences at Khalifa University visited and delivered a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Seminar Series.
March 13, 2014
Dr. Stuart Cantrill, Chief Editor of Nature Chemistry, Nature Publishing Group, visited our group and provided a lecture entitled “The Nature of Chemistry Publishing” as part of the Chemistry Science Seminar Series.
February 11, 2015
The group visited the Petroleum Institute and Dr. Naumov presented a lecture to the Institute entitled "Materials Science Research at New York University Abu Dhabi."
March 6, 2014
Dr. Sharmarke Mohamed, Dr. Deborah Gater, and Dr. Maguy Abi Jaoude from Khalifa University visited the CSE and group.
February 23, 2014
The group visited Julphar (Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries) in Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates and discussed the manufacturing of various medicines.
February 10, 2014
Professor Pance Naumov has been awarded the prestigious APA (Asian and Oceanian Photochemistry Association) Prize for Young Scientists 2013.
February 6, 2014
Dr. Ahmed Alosi, Research Program Manager at the National Research Foundation, UAE Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research, visited our group and delivered a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Seminar Series.
February 1, 2014
Naba K. Nath, Manas K. Panda, Subash C. Sahoo’s paper "Thermally Induced and Photoinduced Mechanical Effects in Molecular Single Crystals—A Revival" was featured on the cover of CrystEngComm.
January 12, 2014
The RSC publishing blog highlighted our recent review article in CrystEngComm, 2014, DOI: 10.1039/C3CE41313F: “Jumping crystals.”
January 12, 2014
Our interns (Mouza Al Zaabi, Nihad Al Falahi and Reem Alkaabi) from Abu Dhabi University were awarded a travel grant to attend a workshop on advanced materials.
January 12, 2014
Dr. Lidong Zhang presented a talk “Synthesis of Hydrogels and Micromolecules for Fabrication of Functional Materials and Drug Delivery Systems” as part of the CSE Research Rounds seminar series.
January 7, 2014
Bart Kahr, Professor of Chemistry at New York University New York, visited our group.
11th - Our research work on instability of the firefly emitter, oxyluciferin, published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2013, doi:10.1002/anie.201307972, paper was highlighted in Nature Middle East entitled "Instability of bioluminescence molecule explained."
5th - Dr. El Hadi Sadki, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, United Arab Emirates University visited our group and also provided a lecture entitled “Low Temperature Electrical Transport Properties of Multilayer Graphene and Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes” as part of the UAE Collaboration Science Seminar series.
5th - Mr. Wesam Abu Saif, Regional Manager — Middle East, Royal Society of Chemistry, visited our group.
28th - Professor Rabih O. Al-Kaysi, Associate Professor of Chemistry, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences visited our group and also provided a lecture as part of the Chemistry Research Seminar.
7th - Dr. Marinda Li Wu, President of American Chemical Society and Dr. Bradley D. Miller, Director, American Chemical Society Office of International Activities, visited our group and discussed various aspect of ACS.
6th - Dr. Naumov had a media interview for Asahi Shimbun, the leading daily newspaper in Japan.
24th - Professor Mohamed Bououdina from the Nanotechnology Centre, University of Bahrain, visited our group and also presented a lecture to the CSE.
10th - Professor Hector Hernandez from Masdar Institute visited and gave a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Science Seminar Series.
3rd - Professor Na'il Saleh, Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry from the United Arab Emirates University in Al Ain provided a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Science Seminar Series.
1st - Welcome to Emirati students Nihad Al Falahi, Reem Saeed Alkaabi and Mouza Al Zaabi from Abu Dhabi University who joined our group for student internship research.
30th - A collaborative proposal with the team of Bart Kahr (NYUNY) "Stabilization and Stockpiling of Vaccines in the Developing World” was awarded funding from the (Global Public Health Research Challenge Fund (GPHRCF)).
26th - Dr. Naumov attended Sustainable Energy Options for the UAE Conference at the Higher Colleges of Technology, Abu Dhabi Men's College, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
10th - J. Michael McBride, R.M. Colgate Professor of Chemistry Emeritus, Yale University visited NYUAD and delivered two lectures, a public lecture entitled "London's Leonardo: Robert Hooke at the Dawn of Modern Science" and also a specialized chemistry lecture at the CSE entitled "Did Life Grind to a Start? Might Crystal Growth Explain How Life Became Left-Handed".
1st - Dr. Elisa Nauha joined our group as a Postdoctoral Associate.
27th - Dr. Lidong Zhang joined our research group as a Postdoctoral Associate.
25th - Dr. Naumov also presented "Single crystals on the move: Mechanistic aspects of the self-actuation of photosalient, thermosalient and bending crystals" at The 28th European Crystallographic Meeting (ECM28), Arts Centre, The University of Warwick, UK.
19th - Dr. Naumov attended the Asian Chemistry Conference in Singapore from August 19—22, 2013.
11th - Dr. Sahoo presented a poster entitled "Single Crystals in Action: Motility and Self-actuation of Thermosalient (jumping) Crystal for Smart Actuators" at the 44th World Chemistry Congress, IUPAC conference, Istanbul, Turkey, August 11—16, 2013.
9th - Our recent work published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2013, 52, 1—7, on "Jumping Crystals" was highlighted by several scientific news agencies and some of the leading scientific reports:
Chemistry World (Royal Society of Chemistry, UK), New Scientist (US), Nanowerk (US), Scattenblick (Germany), Innovations Report, Laboratory-Journal.com, Chemistry Views, News Analytik (Germany) and Nature Middle East.
5th - Dr. Naumov delivered a Keynote Lecture entitled "Single crystals on the move: mechanistic aspects of self-actualisation of photosalient, thermosalient and bending crystals" at ICCOSS 2013, the 21st International Conference on the Chemistry of the Organic Solid State held from August 5—9, 2013 at St. Catherine's College in Oxford, UK.
31st - Quirin Schiermeier interviewed Dr. Panče Naumov for Nature News. Part of the interview was published in the article "Relocating: Middle Eastern promise."
30th - Dr. Naumov's new research article entitled “Dynamic Single Crystals: Kinematic Analysis of Photoinduced Crystal Jumping (The Photosalient Effect)” was published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2013, 52, 1-7.
22nd - Dr Sahoo, Dr Manas and Dr Nath's research article entitled “Biomimetic Crystalline Actuators: Structure-Kinematic Aspects of the Self-Actuation and Motility of Thermosalient Crystals" was accepted in Journal of the American Chemical Society.
11th - Dr Sahoo’s research article entitled “Kinematic and Mechanical Profile of the Self-Actuation of Thermosalient Crystal Twins of 1,2,4,5-Tetrabromobenzene: A Molecular Crystalline Analog of a Bimetallic Strip” was accepted in Journal of the American Chemical Society.
10th - Dr. Ahmad Husain joined our research group as a Postdoctoral Associate.
29th - Prof. Seik Weng Ng (University of Malaya) visited our laboratory.
17th - Dr. Naumov delivered an invited lecture at a photocrystallography workshop in Buffalo, US.
1st - Dr. Nath's paper was featured on the cover of Chemistry-A European Journal.
1 - Welcome to Brandon Wahba , Alex Larkin, Nada Elazhary and Jaen Ocadiz Flores who joined our group for student summer research.
17th - We organized the Science Lab at the NYUAD Spring Festival of Student Work.
15th - Dr. Naumov participated in the symposium on solar energy held at the University of Bahrain.
13th - Professor Irfan Saadat from Masdar visited our laboratory and delivered a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Seminar Series.
7th - Dr. Jolly Jacob from Abu Dhabi University and Ms. Fatima HP, Academic consultant for H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Palace visited our laboratory.
6th - Professor Ahmed Ayesh from UAE University visited our laboratory and delivered a lecture as part of the UAE Collaboration Seminar Series.
1st - Together with the team of Wael Rabeh (NYUAD), we were awarded Research Enhancement Fund (REF) from NYU Abu Dhabi for our research focusing on “Red- and Green-Emitting Luciferases: Determination of the Color Emission Mechanism”.
1st - Our results on the activation spectroscopy of oxyluciferin in vacuo were published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
1st - The paper of Dr. Nath on the photodimerization of a photoactive yellow protein was accepted in Chemistry- a European Journal.
- Dr. Naba Kamal Nath joined our research group as post-doctoral fellow working in Kyoto University, Japan.
- Patrick Commins, a graduate student at UCLA, joined our group for an internship.
- Dr. Naumov contributed to a highlight in Chemical Science (September 18, 2012).
- Dr. Oleg Maltsev from our collaborator’s research group (Lukas Hintermann) at TUM was awarded a poster prize for the presentation of the collaborative research at organic chemistry symposium in Germany.
- Mateusz Rebarz from our collaborator’s group in Lille (Michel Sliwa) presented a lecture on our collaborative research results at the IUPAC symposium on photochemistry in Portugal.
- Dr. Naumov presented a poster at the second GRC on Crystal Engineering in NH, US.
- Dr. Boris-Marko Kukovec joined our research group as post-doctoral fellow.
- A researcher from the Petroleum Institute visited our research group.
- Dr. Naumov presented at the 1st Materials Science Symposium organized by New York University Abu Dhabi.
- Dr. Plamen Atanassov and Dr. Subash Sahoo joined our research team as post-doctoral fellows.
- Dr. Naumov visited ETH Zürich and presented an invited lecture at the Department of Organic Chemistry.
- The team members of the HFSP project on bioluminescence held the first coordination meeting in University of Strasbourg, France.
- The Editor of the NPG’s Nature Middle East, Mohammed Yahia, visited our group in NYU Abu Dhabi and presented a lecture on the scope and the policy of the portal.
Our new laboratory was set up at New York University Abu Dhabi
- Our JACS article on mechanochemical and vapochemical control over the aurophilic interactions was highlighted in Science (2011) 334, 18; http://www.sciencemag.org/content/334/6052/twil.full
- Dr. Naumov presented an invited lecture at the 13th European Symposium on Organic Reactivity (ESOR) in Tartu, Estonia.
- We co-organized the Microsymposium “Dynamical Structural Science” at the XXII Congress and General Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography in Madrid, Spain, August 22–30, 2011.
- Dr. Naumov presented an invited keynote lecture at the 7th International Conference on Mechanochemistry and Mechanical Alloying (INCOME2011) in Herceg Novi, Montenegro.
- The blog of Dr. Naumov was published in the "The Sceptical Chymist” blog series of Nature Chemistry: http://blogs.nature.com/thescepticalchymist/2011/07/reactions_pane_naumov.html
- Our paper in thermosalient effect was selected among the 100 papers to be included in the Annual Report of Osaka University 2010-2011.
- The first issue of the three special thematic issues of the Newsletter of the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr) on the Crystallography in South-Eastern Europe, coordinated by Dr. Naumov, was published. This first issue contains texts on the crystallography in three countries from SE Europe: http://www.iucr.org/news/newsletter/volume-19/number-2
- Dr. Naumov presented a poster at the Gordon Research Conference on Photochemistry in Stonehill College, Massachusetts, USA.
- Dr. Skoko presented the results on the thermosalient effects in oxitropium bromide at the 20th Croatian-Slovenian Crystallographic Meeting - CSCM20, Baška, Krk, Croatia. Illustration from the paper was also featured on the cover of the Book of Abstracts of the conference.
- Dr. Naumov delivered oral talk at the XX ICCOSS – The 20th International Conference on the Chemistry of Organic Solid State in Bangalore, India.
- Dr. Naumov participated and presented a poster on the new project related to research on bioluminescence at the 11th HFSP Awardees Meeting of the Human Frontier Science Program in McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Dr. Naumov visited the Chemistry Department at the New York University in New York and delivered two talks. Future cooperation and communication with NYU was established.
- The former member of our group, Mr. Tomce Runcevski was accepted in a PhD program and received a scholarship from the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research (Stuttgart).
- Dr Naumov visited the following institutions and delivered talks:
- New York University Abu Dhabi, UAE (Professor Joel Bernstein)
- Hacettepe University, Turkey (Professor Engin Ozdas)
- Middle-East Technical University, Turkey (Professor Metin Balci)
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark (Professor Sine Larsen)
- MAX-Lab, Lund, Sweden (Professor Sine Larsen)
- University of Oslo, Norway (Professor Ute Krengel)
- University of Jyväskylä, Finland (Professor Kari Rissanen)
- University of Eastern Finland, Finland (Professor Matti Haukka)
- Together with Dr. Michel Sliwa (Lille 1), Dr. Lukas Hintermann (Technical University of Munich) and Dr. Pascal Didier (University of Strasbourg) we were awarded the Young Investigator Grant from the Human Frontier Science Program. Our application was ranked 6th among 11 awards, selected out from several hundreds applications.
- Dr. Naumov received the Global Center of Excellence (GCOE) fellowship.
- Dr. Naumov participated in the I²CNER workshop in Kyshu University.
- Dr. Naumov participated in the International Hydrogen Energy Development Forum 2011 in Fukuoka.
- We participated in the Annual Meeting of the Crystallographic Society of Japan in Osaka.
- Dr. Naumov delivered two talks at the Pacifichem 2010 conference in Hawaii, USA.
- Professor Kari Rissanen (University of Jyväskylä, Finland) visited our research group.
- We participated in the 10th Meeting of the Asian Crystallographic Association in Busan, Korea, and presented several papers.
- Dr. Naumov visited the National Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (AIST).
- Dr. Naumov visited Kyungpook National University and Kumoh National Institute of Technology in Korea and delivered lectures.
- Our work on thermosalient (jumping) crystals has been highlighted in Nature Chemistry! http://www.nature.com/nchem/reshigh/2010/1010/full/nchem.903.html
- Dr. Naumov participated in the 6th International Symposium on Photochromism in Yokohama, Japan.
- Professor Kenneth D. M. Harris (University of Cardiff) visited our University and delivered a lecture.
- Our paper, the structure of oxitropium bromide and its thermosalient effect were selected as "Structure of the Week" by the Crystal Growth & Design Network (ACS): https://communities.acs.org/docs/DOC-3662
- Dr. Anne Pichon (Nature Publishing Group), an Associate Editor of Nature Chemistry, visited our University and presented an interesting lecture on the elements of chemical publishing.
- Dr. M. Kochunnoonny returned back to India. During his stay at Osaka University, Dr. Kochunnoonny worked on new analogues of the bioluminescence emitter, a new solid-state photochemical reaction, and solid-state photochromism.
- Dr. Naumov visited five Universities in Turkey (Istanbul, Samsun, Ankara, Eskisehir, Bursa), delivered lectures and discussed the possibilities for cooperation.
- Dr. Michel Sliwa (University of Lille, France) visited our laboratory.
- Dr. Naumov participated in two symposiums in Tokyo on neutron diffraction and research funding.
- Dr. Naumov visited two Institutes at Kyoto University.
- We performed experiment and collected powder X-ray diffraction data at SPring-8.
- Dr. Naumov presented our latest results at the 5th Heron Conference on Reactive Intermediates and Unusual Molecules in Australia.
- Dr. Skoko returned to Croatia. During his 8-month stay in our lab, Dr. Skoko worked on several important systems. He was particularly successful and obtained very original results in the study of thermosalient effect and phase transitions in organic crystals.
- Dr. Naumov participated and presented at the Gordon Research Conference "Crystal Engineering" in NH, USA.
- We purchased new and modern equipment for absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy.
- Dr. Naumov visited Kyushu University.
- A collaborative research paper with Fukuzumi group was accepted for publication in the top chemistry journal, Nature Chemistry.
- A chapter on X-ray photodiffraction by Dr. Naumov appeared in the book "Advances in Nanotechnology, Materials and Devices" (Wiley-VCH).
- Dr. Skoko received the Global Center of Excellence (GCOE) fellowship.
- Our collaborators (Kowalik, Solntsev, Tolbert) presented some of our latest results at the spring ACS meeting in SF.
- Professor Kenji Sakurai (National Institute for Materials science, Tsukuba University) shortly visited our laboratory.
- Professor Joel Bernstein (Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Israel) visited our laboratory and delivered talks as part of the Global Center of Excellence (GCOE) program.
- Professor Jarugu Narasimha Moorthy (Indian Institute of Technology, India) stayed with us one month as part of the joint INSA-JSPS program. Prof. Moorthy participated in experiments related to organic photochromism.
- Professor Ivayla Pantcheva (Sofia University) and Prof. Yasushi Nishihara (Okayama University) shortly visited our laboratory.
- Dr. Manoj Kochunnoonny (India, South Africa) joined our group as a post-doctoral fellow.
- Professor Yuji Ohashi (Ibaraki Quantum Beam Research Center) visited our laboratory and presented a lecture as part of the Global Center of Excellence (GCOE) program.
- Professor Laren Tolbert (Georgia Tech) visited our laboratory and presented a lecture.
- Dr. Naumov presented a lecture at the International Symposium at Frontier Research Center for Global Young Researchers in Osaka University.
- Two members of our group (Dr. Makreski and Mr. Runcevski) visited Ecole Normale Superieure of CNRS in Cachan and performed experiments on photochromic compounds.
- Two collaborators from Ecole Normale Superieure of CNRS in Cachan (R. Metivier, A. Brosseau) visited our group in Skopje and participated in experiments as part of our bilateral project
- Dr. Naumov visited the Institute of Chemistry in Skopje where he participated in meetings related to the SWOT project
- Mr. Gjorgji Petrusevski successfully presented his MSc thesis "Crystal structure, polymorphs and solvates of the active pharmaceutical ingredient sodium valproate" in Skopje. Mr. Petrusevski presented the results of the first ever structure determination of the important anticonvulsant sodium valproate and eight solid forms of this important compound.
- Dr. Zeljko Skoko (Croatia) joined our group as post-doctoral fellow.
- Mr. Tomce Runcevski presented our results at a student conference in Macedonia and a workshop in Romania
- Our collaborators (Sliwa) presented our results at a photochemsitry conference in Shanghai, China
- Prof. Kari Rissanen (University of Jyväskylä) visited our group shortly and presented a lecture
- Our collaborators (Makreski, Petrusevski) presented our results at a spectroscopy conference in Bilbao, Spain
- Dr. Topcu and Dr. Naumov presented at the 25th European Crystallographic Meeting in Istanbul, Turkey
- Dr. Naumov participated in the 238th American Chemical Society meeting in Washington DC
- Our collaborators (Sliwa) presented our results at a photochemistry conference in Beijing, China
- Our collaborators (Morimoto, Fukuzumi) presented our results at the International Conference on Biological Inorganic Chemistry in Nagoya, Japan
- Dr. Naumov presented a plenary lecture at the 18th Croatian-Slovenian Crystallographic Meeting in Varazdin, Croatia
- Collaborative work with researchers from Croatia was established
- Prof. Seik Weng Ng (University of Malaya) visited our laboratory with a student
- We performed experiment at National Institute for Materials Science in Tsukuba
- The collaborative work with Nagoya Institute of Technology (Prof. N. Ishizawa) was renewed
- Mr. Ozawa successfully presented his MSc thesis at Osaka University. He talked about our results on the first structure determination and the spectroscopy of the emitter molecule of firefly bioluminescence
- The GCOE term of Dr. Topcu finished and he returned to Nevsehir University in Turkey. Dr. Topcu has worked on a synthesis of a molecular container with new topology, and he also developed novel solid-state photochemical reaction
- Dr. Naumov attended the Symposium of Young Chemists in Germany and shortly visited the University in Aachen
The terms of Dr. Yang and Mr. Gaz finished and they returned to their Universities in China (Xiamen U) and Romania (U. Babes-Bolyai). Dr. Yang synthesized six forms of one organic compound, and he also prepared interesting metal-organic framework materials. Mr. Gaz started with development of a complicated synthesis of functional molecular material
- Dr. Naumov and Mr. Ozawa participated in the International FRB Symposium in Osaka University
- Dr. Naumov presented invited plenary lecture at the IUMRS meeting in Nagoya
- Dr. Naumov presented invited plenary lecture at a molecular chemistry conference in Kuala Lumpur
- Prof. K. Nakatani (Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan) and Prof. P. Yu (Universite Paris Sud) visited us in Skopje and participated in IR spectroscopic experiments
- Three of our members (Dr. P. Makreski, Mr. Gj. Petruševski and Mr. T. Runčevski) visited the laboratories of Prof. K. Nakatani (Cachan) and Prof. P. Yu (Paris) and joined the experiments on photochromic compounds•Prof. L. Tolbert (Georgia Tech) shortly visited our laboratory
- Mr. Petruševski participated in spectroscopy congress in Croatia
- Dr. Naumov was selected as one of the 15 finalists of the European Young Chemists Award and presented a lecture at the EuCheMS congress in Turin, Italy
- Prof. Jovanovski (SS. Cyril and Methodius Univ.) visited our group
- Dr. Naumov and Dr. Yang participated in the IUCr conference in Osaka
- Dr. Naumov attended International Conference on Coordination Chemistry in Jerusalem
- Dr. Naumov visited several Universities in South-East Europe and presented a series of lectures
- Dr. Topcu (GCOE researcher) and Mr. Ozawa joined our group
- Dr. Yang joined our group
- The setup of the new laboratory was completed. The new diffractometer was installed
- Dr. Naumov participated in a symposium in Osaka
- Prof. J. Bode (UCSB) shortly visited our Osaka laboratory (09/2007)
- We moved our laboratory from National Institute for Materials Science to Osaka University (08/2007)
- Prof. P. Coppens (University of Buffalo) visited us in Tsukuba and presented a lecture on photocrystallography. (12/2006)
- Prof. G. Desiraju (University of Hyderabad) visited us in Tsukuba and presented a lecture on supramolecular chemistry. (11/2006)
- Prof. Y. Ohashi (SPring-8) visited us in Tsukuba and presented a lecture on crystalline state reactions(7/2006)
- Dr. Naumov was appointed a co-editor of MJCCE
- Two of our papers appeared on the front page and inside front page of Chemical Communications
- Mr. Arnaud Spangenberg (France) visited our laboratory (2/2007)
- Our structure of sodium saccharinate (Z’ = 16) was enlisted no. 6 in the database of structures with high Z’ maintained by U. Durham