- Campus Life
J-Term Application for NYU New York and Shanghai Students
The J-Term application for NYU New York and NYU Shanghai students is now closed.
The application deadline has passed.
The application is for undergraduate students from NYU New York and NYU Shanghai interested in taking an NYU Abu Dhabi January Term 2018 course.
Enrollment in the NYUAD J-Term courses is limited so participating students can fully benefit from the advantages of small-size, seminar-style classes. As a result, the selection process is very competitive.
Before you apply, we encourage you to learn more about NYU Abu Dhabi.
J-Term 2018 Locations
- Abu Dhabi
- Buenos Aires
- New York
- Washington DC
NYU Abu Dhabi offers January Term (J-Term) courses in many locations around the world, all of which are open to full-time NYU undergraduates in their sophomore, junior or senior year. These courses give students from the Abu Dhabi, New York, and Shanghai campuses the opportunity to study together and experience the rich diversity of the NYU global network. January Term courses are taught by renowned scholars, writers, artists, journalists, and policy analysts who teach only during the January term as well as distinguished professors from NYU and NYUAD.
The NYUAD January Term offers a distinctive and highly rigorous learning experience. Students take one course full-time for approximately three weeks. The courses are designed as immersive experiences; they intensify the student’s intellectual focus; reach beyond the classroom to incorporate experiential learning; and are often site-specific, connecting students to the place where they study.
Taking a single course during the January Term gives students more time for concentrated reflection on a dedicated topic than is the case during the semester when students must split their time between several courses. The intensity of the shared experience also forges an unusually strong bond between the students and their professor. Although the January Term is short, it has great impact because of its immersive character and linkage of theoretical and experiential learning. Many courses include day trips, group projects, one-on-one tutorials, and guest speakers to help deepen the students’ cultural and social interactions with the host community. Students joining January Term courses should expect to devote a very significant amount of time outside of class to reading, writing, and research assignments.
Selection for any NYUAD J-Term course is based on a student’s academic record, the strength of the application, academic preparation for, and suitability of the chosen program. The Office of Global Education at NYUAD reviews the applications and selects the students.
NYU New York and NYU Shanghai students approved to take an NYUAD J-Term course away from their home campus will be sent pre-departure materials by email. These materials will also be available online.
All NYUAD J-Term courses are four credits. Academic credit for these courses is treated like any other credit awarded for coursework at NYU. The NYUAD J-Term courses will be recorded on the student’s NYU transcript, and the final grades from such courses will be calculated into a student’s NYU grade point average (GPA). It is your responsibility to work with your academic advisor and major department to determine whether and how a course might count towards your degree requirements.
Classes in Abu Dhabi
Date January 2 Students arrive on site
January 3 Required orientation January 4 First day of classes January 6 and 13 Legislative days (classes meet on these days even though they are Saturdays)
January 18 Last day of classes January 19 Students depart
Classes in New York and Washington, DC
Date January 2 Students arrive on site January 3 First day of classes (required orientation in the morning) January 6 Legislative day (classes meet on this day even though it is a Saturday) January 15 No classes: Martin Luther King Day holiday January 19 Last day of classes January 20 Students depart
Classes at the NYU Global Sites
Date January 3 Students arrive on site January 4 First day of classes (required orientation in the morning) January 6 Legislative day (classes meet on this day even though it is a Saturday) January 19 Last day of classes January 20 Students depart
- Total fees may differ based on the location of the course and the home school of the student. Please find details below.
- All J-Term courses organized by NYUAD are four (4) credits. Tuition fee equals 4 credits x $1,412 USD per credit = $5,648 US Dollars.
- All J-Term courses include a program fee – find the details below.
- Most courses include a housing fee but do not provide meals. Courses in Abu Dhabi require campus housing with a meal plan.
- The housing fees quoted below are estimates. Once you are placed in housing, your bill will be adjusted to show the actual amount you owe.
The application process for J-Term is very competitive and places in courses are limited. Any student who gets placed into a J-Term course – any course from their application list – but ultimately chooses not to enroll and pay the costs associated with the course will be charged a non-refundable cancellation fee of $500 US Dollars.
Location Fee Breakdown
Abu Dhabi Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $300, combined Housing and Meal Plan Fee = 1,528
(NOTE: Students spending fall 2017 semester in Abu Dhabi will not be charged a housing fee but only a meal plan fee of $478.)
$7,476.00 Accra Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,025 $7,253.00 Berlin Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $906 $7,134.00 Buenos Aires Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,150 $7,378.00 Florence Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,123 $7,351.00 London Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,365 $7,593.00 New York Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,200
(Students spending fall 2017 semester in New York will not be charged a housing fee for J-Term in New York)
$7,428.00 Paris Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,062 $7,290.00 Shanghai Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $775 $7,003.00 Washington, DC Tuition = $5,648; Program Fee = $580; Housing Fee = $1,055 $7,283.00
Application Instructions and Guidelines
Please review the following carefully before submitting an application:
- Students on academic or disciplinary probation are not eligible for participation in NYUAD J-Term courses.
- Only students who — at the time of application — have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and have completed at least two semesters at NYU New York or NYU Shanghai are eligible to apply for NYUAD J-Term courses.
- Please review the J-Term 2018 calendar and make sure you can commit to these dates. Late arrivals or early departures from J-Term classes are not allowed.
- Tuition and other fees apply for enrollment in all J-Term courses. Please review the applicable NYUAD J-Term 2018 Course Fees carefully before you apply. Financial aid is not available from NYU Abu Dhabi but may be available from your home school. If you have questions about financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at your home campus.
- Due to logistical constraints, some NYUAD J-Term classes are open only to students from NYU Abu Dhabi. They are marked accordingly in Albert and on our website.
- The application process for J-Term is very competitive and places in courses are limited. Any student who gets placed into a J-Term course – any course from their application list – but ultimately chooses not to enroll and pay the costs associated with the course will be charged a non-refundable cancellation fee of $500 US Dollars.
If you have any questions or concerns about your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.