- Campus Life
Structure and Schedule
Global PhD Students complete all degree requirements set by the NYU New York Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
The following is a typical degree sequence, but each student’s course of study will be determined in consultation with his or her faculty advisor and the department’s Director of Graduate Studies. Most students participate in their fellowship for a duration of 4-5 years.
Summer 1 in Abu Dhabi
- Before starting classes in New York, students spend 4-6 weeks in Abu Dhabi to obtain their UAE visas and familiarize themselves with the campus, labs, and faculty.
Years 1 to 2 in New York
- Students undertake coursework with their Department in New York.
J-Term and Summer Term in Abu Dhabi
- During the month of January and over the summer term, students return to Abu Dhabi to maintain their UAE residency status and pursue research with their advisors.
Year 2 and Onward in New York or Abu Dhabi
- After completing coursework in New York, students will return to Abu Dhabi where they will continue conducting research with their advisors.
Dissertation Defense in New York or Abu Dhabi
- Defense location will depend upon committee makeup and any departmental requirements.