Awards, Grants, and Patents
- Princess of Asturias Award 2019
- Distinguished Global Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi (2018).
- Doctor in Sociology, honoris causa, Roskilde University (Denmark) (2014).
- Niklas Luhmann Guest Professor, University of Bielefeld, (Germany) (2014).
- James S. Coleman Fellow, American Academy of Political and Social Sciences. (2012).
- Outstanding Academic Publication, (Social and Behavioral Sciences/Sociology). Choice magazine for Economic Sociology: A Systematic Inquiry (2011).
- W.E.B. DuBois Career of Distinguished Scholarship Award, American Sociological Association (2010).
- National Academy of Sciences Annual Award for Scientific Reviewing, Social and Political Sciences (2008)
- Distinguished Scholarly Publication Award for Legacies: The Story of the Immigrant Second Generation, American Sociological Association (2002).
- William I. Thomas and Florian Znaniecki Distinguished Scholarship Award for Legacies, International Migration Section, American Sociological Association (2002).
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Creighton University (1999).
- Distinguished Career Award, Section on International Migration, American Sociological Association (1998).