- Campus Life
Event and Outreach Coordinator - Center for Genomics and Systems Biology (Fixed-Term for 2 Years)
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- November 25, 2018
About the Position
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint an Events and Outreach Coordinator for the Center for Genomics and Systems Biology.
The NYUAD Center for Genomics and Systems Biology (CGSB) is currently seeking an event and outreach coordinator who will work to increase the visibility of the CGSB and promote the research of the laboratories locally and internationally. In conjunction with the Center’s faculty, researchers, and administrators, the coordinator will develop public programming and communications to connect the CGSB with the wider community, helping to convey the relevance of its research to the general public, and promoting science education. The primary responsibilities, described below, are expected to evolve as the CGSB outreach programming develops.
This person will create content for CGSB social media, newsletters, and the Center’s website in both Arabic and English languages and is expected to handle a variety of tasks, including print advertising, direct mail, and short video projects. The successful candidate will be a strong writer. They should ideally have experience in science communication or a science degree, and will be expected to shoot and edit video, as well as write scripts and help with larger projects.
- Promoting CGSB programs, including identifying target audiences and the most effective methods of reaching them
- Works on special outreach activities such as the CGSB monthly Fikret Science Club, the CGSB annual conference, exhibitions, etc., whenever needed
- Ability to present simple scientific experiments to the non-scientific community at various events like Abu Dhabi Think Science Festival and special projects such as Citizen Science
- Supports the operational and administrative activities of the center’s events and outreach
- Provides administrative support to the center co-directors, associate director and other stakeholders
- Manages CGSB event calendar
- Coordinates internal meetings in AD and New York
- Maintains the center’s mailing lists, calendars, databases and files (soft-copies / hard-copies)
- Prepares agendas for meetings, prepare schedules, record and distribute meeting minutes in timely manner
- Ensures visitors are registered for campus and that they have appropriate access to the buildings as necessary
- Assists in organizing small and large-scale events held by the center (e.g. workshops, conferences, panels, advisory board meetings, etc.)
- Assists in arrangement of CGSB guest logistics (e.g. travel, accommodation, transportation, reimbursements, etc.), when needed
CGSB Website, Social Media & Visual Designs
- Designs and executes a variety of web-based projects, from mockup to implementation
- Liaises and coordinates with CGSB faculty and researchers to keep updated information on existing CGSB websites
- Generates, edits and shares content
- Tracks and analyze analytics reports to gain insight into traffic of posting and scheduling social media posts, demographics, and effectiveness; and utilizes this information to positively affect future outcomes
- Collaborates with other departments to promote their work, coordinate campaigns, and increase reach
- Creates original content, collects and reformats content for various delivery platforms in Arabic and English languages
- Proofreads and edits content in coordination with other CGSB outreach members
- Liaises with NYUAD Public Affairs for various requirements, including press releases, new faces and to integrate CGSB publishing materials and news
- Assures the quality of links and accessibility of content posted on the site
- Has the ability to create visual assets for internal and external communications. Media include, but are not limited to: prints, social channels, emails, websites, digital ads/promo and data visualization
- Develops and manages electronic content including photographs, videos, podcasts, and maintains the electronic media archive.
- Bachelors in science or communications
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, in Arabic and English
- A high level of competency or certification in using a range of relevant software applications such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Captivate, or Premier.
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.