- Campus Life
Associate Dean of Students - Campus Life
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- June 11, 2018
About the Position
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint an Associate Dean of Students to work closely with Campus Life Senior Leadership Team and other key stakeholders (including NYU colleagues in New York and Shanghai) to provide leadership and vision for a comprehensive, contextual approach for student support and engagement at NYUAD.
NYUAD’s Division of Campus Life brings together multiple functional areas within student affairs – including cultural engagement, spiritual life, student involvement, community outreach, career development, athletics, residential education, fitness, student conduct, health and wellness, accessibility services, and more – to provide students with the structure, resources, and support to maximize their educational experience and reach their full potential. The Division of Campus Life plays a crucial role in shaping the out-of-classroom experience for a highly diverse (the vast majority of students from outside the region) residential population of 1500+ undergraduate students.
The Associate Dean of Students is a highly visible member of the Dean’s senior staff who manages multiple functional areas of student affairs. Additionally, the Associate Dean works across the Division on a variety of strategic, operational, and management initiatives that support the mission of both NYUAD and Campus Life. This role is far-reaching in its responsibilities and there will be opportunities for the Associate Dean to develop their portfolio to match their professional experiences and interests.
The Associate Dean will serve as a representative and designee for the Dean of Students and/or Division across all areas of the Campus Life along with other units at the University (i.e. Global Education, Public Affairs, Campus Operations, Admissions, Human Resources, Risk Management, etc). S/he will liaise with critical stakeholders in the local community, particularly in building relationships with universities in the UAE, government agencies, and external partners – particularly those in the Middle East. The Associate Dean will actively work to connect faculty, staff and community members with the work of Campus Life, and identify areas of collaboration or partnership with other areas of the University, including NYU New York, NYU Shanghai, and NYU’s Global Academic Centers. S/he will be well-versed in all aspects of Campus Life and be able to represent the department and set a positive example as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and with other campus stakeholders, including internal committees, meetings, reporting and communications.
The Associate Dean will recruit, supervise, and lead a diverse, international staff with broad professional experiences from in and out of student affairs. This position will serve as the primary supervisor of the directors of multiple functional areas within Campus Life, and will be expected to provide support and guidance regarding management, teamwork, and operational matters. The Associate Dean will support Campus Life efforts for staff development and cohesion, and will serve as a resource for colleagues on a range of student affairs issues.
The Associate Dean provides general and personal advising support to students and students groups, including serving as a conduct hearing officer, on-call responsibilities for crisis management & emergency response, outreach to student leadership groups (i.e. Student Government, RA’s, etc), and support for NYU students from New York and Shanghai who are studying in Abu Dhabi. The Associate Dean is an active contributor to University and Division-wide programs, including admissions events, new student orientation, student leadership trainings, athletic programs, and more.
Supervision & Oversight of Functional Areas
- Provide strategic and operational oversight for multiple functional areas/departments within Campus Life. Provide mentorship and support to departmental directors in the management and development of their staff, programs, services, and operations. Identify areas of collaboration and/or integration between departments, and serve as a resource for staff in these areas
- Recruit (as needed), supervise, evaluate, manage and lead staff, using sound management and supervisory practices. Provide strategic counsel to the Dean of Students regarding personnel matters in these functional areas/departments
Senior Member of Dean’s Staff & Campus Life Leadership
- Work closely with the Dean of Students and Campus Life colleagues in residential education, health & wellness, athletics, career development, fitness & wellness, student life, the Dean’s office, and other relevant areas of the university to develop a well-coordinated set of programs and services guided by principles of student development that advance NYUAD’s broader educational mission. This includes matters related to student engagement, residential living, campus traditions, community outreach, intercultural communication and dialogue, promoting health education, wellbeing and fitness programs, and leadership development
- Identify and cultivate opportunities for Campus Life to advance its mission in strategic and/or innovative ways, through community partnerships, collaboration with NYU New York and/or NYU Shanghai, and/or integration of emerging trends in student affairs
Student Advising & Outreach
- Provide guidance and advising support to students and student groups, serve as a resource to faculty on student support issues, serve as a University Judicial officer, and develop relationships with student leaders/groups (i.e. Student Government, RA’s etc). S/he works with individual students on personal advisement, providing guidance or referral, monitoring the student's progress, and following up to ensure that issues and concerns are adequately addressed. In addition, the Associate Dean is a visible and engaged member of the NYUAD community, supporting student events & initiatives across the year
Strategic Initiatives & Projects
- Work on Campus Life-wide initiatives at the discretion of the Dean of Students, including participating in university committees, contributing to the creation of Campus Life publications and communications, taking a leadership role in the planning and implementation of Campus Life-hosted conferences, and sharing responsibility for the development of policies regarding student and campus life as a member of the Dean's senior staff
Emergency Response, Crisis & On-Call Responsibilities
- Partner with colleagues from different departments to provide crisis management support and identify appropriate interventions for students at risk. Serve as a senior member of the Campus Life on-call rotation, providing oversight for emergency situations and guidance for other staff who are assisting. In collaboration with Campus Life colleagues, refine and review crisis management protocols and plans. Identify further opportunities to ensure Campus Life staff have appropriate training and knowledge to support students
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field
- PhD in related field
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible senior administrative experience in an academic environment, higher education/student affairs, or equivalent combination
- Experience in strategic planning, effective communication, budget management, and stakeholder management
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership and managerial skills and the capacity to supervise and lead a highly diverse team of professionals across multiple functional areas/departments
- Experience working with a highly diverse, uniquely international student body and commitment to diversity and inclusion, with an awareness of cultural context and local sensitivities
- Experience and proficiency in advising students and student groups, and developing structures for student support and engagement
- Experience and proficiency in the planning, coordination and implementation of projects and programs
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, students, administrators and external partners and stakeholders
- Ability to appreciate and incorporate diverse learning styles, educational backgrounds, and communication styles
- Ability to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and oversee execution of projects and initiatives in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment
- Excellent listening skills to accurately understand others and provide effective feedback
- Good judgment, discretion, independence and initiative. A capacity to work collegially and collaboratively.
- Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills in English
- An ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects on tight deadlines, organized work habits, consistent accuracy, and attentiveness to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Prior experience in an international higher education institution/organization
- Prior experience with and an interest in small, residential, liberal arts institutions
- Prior exposure or experience living/working in an international environment
- Interest in and awareness of the UAE and/or Middle East region
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.