- Campus Life
Administrative Manager - Science (Fixed-Term for 2 Years)
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- February 22, 2018
About the Position
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Administrative Manager to join the Division of Science.
The post holder will be responsible for overseeing the administrative operation of the research laboratory including administrative matters, financial business and employment-related matters. Key to this role will be facilitating the communication between the research group members (researchers and students), the NYUAD administration, and the professional contacts from other institutions (visitors, guest speakers, collaborators). Central to success will involve working closely with NYUAD administration to assure smooth, safe and timely operation of the research laboratories together with leading on administrative matters, reporting, overseeing of the budget and financial matters, procurement and hiring.
- Interpret and apply University policies, practices and procedures to address complex administrative matters, referring moderately complex cases to supervisor; oversee laboratory compliance with university requirements; develop guidelines and processes for the lab. Specifically, manage lab safety programs and enforce safety lab procedures among all lab personnel to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and managing NYUAD lab safety inspections. Coordinating with the EHS on chemical and other waste for proper chemical labeling and disposal
- Serve as the primary administrator for the lab. Working closely with Science Administration Staff to plan and facilitate external visits and seminars related to chemistry. Scheduling internal and external meetings, arranging business/research trips for all lab members, booking conference rooms for meetings and video conferences, and requesting IT support
- Work in coordination with Procurement team to order scientific equipment and supplies. Analyze lab needs; provide expert advice to the research team regarding equipment cost estimations and projections; coordinate with vendors to ensure timely delivery of necessary supplies; monitor inventory. Responsible (in part) for lab chemicals and glassware by placing new orders, tracking shipment status, receiving/storing chemicals upon arrival, and maintaining chemical list on the ChemTracker list for all chemicals for both labs
- Working closely with the laboratory members of both labs and the EHS to ensure that the laboratory is always in good condition for safe research work and adheres to EHS standards. Stays up-to-date with all required safety training policies and procedures and acts as an advisor for ensuring lab members are aware of any updates, changes, or new policies. Provides a systemized method of stocking, storing, and labeling/filing of all lab equipment, documents, and chemicals/glassware to preserve the labs neat appearance
- Manage, update and maintain the contents of the lab’s website with scientific content, which entails a high degree of scientific knowledge base and periodically update the lab’s website
- Bachelor’s of Science
- 5 years progressive experience within an administrative / senior administrative position, ideally in a science related field
- General knowledge in biological/chemical sciences
- Ability to communicate effectively with a high degree of proficiency in English
- Advanced expertise in office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Gmail etc.
- Ability to work effectively with other administrative offices of the university, in particular Finance and Procurement
- Advanced knowledge of relevant laboratory equipment and techniques is desirable
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.