- Campus Life
Curator - Art Gallery
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- February 28, 2018
About the Position
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Curator, reporting to the Gallery Director and Chief Curator.
The University Gallery at NYU Abu Dhabi is a non-collecting academic museum. Its exhibition program prioritizes curatorial and artistic experimentation, expanding beyond what might be possible in a commercial context, and framing the presentation in scholarly terms, connecting research and knowledge production, the region and our academic community, through each exhibition.
The NYUAD Art Gallery seeks an established curator to play a key role, developing exhibitions, integrating the gallery program with the teaching and research mission of the university, and linking the gallery to surrounding arts institutions. The Curator conducts research and develops museum exhibitions in the Gallery that contribute to art historical interpretation and knowledge production. The Curator generates outreach strategies, connecting into the university and out to the greater public, activating the exhibitions’ content through programming, such as symposia, residencies, tours, and workshops.
- Main Gallery Exhibitions Curator: Curate a minimum of one major exhibition every other year, collaborate with guest curators on exhibition development, conduct research, studio visits, and develop relationships for future exhibitions, write, publish, and present in public forums related to above areas of research.
- Campus Art Collection Interpretation: Research and develop curatorial texts for NYUAD’s for campus-wide collection, advise, together with the Chief Curator, on acquisition strategies, oversee site-specific commissions to come.
Gallery Programs and Outreach
As a senior member of the gallery team, the Curator is responsible for representing the gallery mission to various communities and in the public eye. The Curator will:
- Develop exhibition-related programming around all exhibitions, whether guest-curated or generated in-house. This should include creative strategies for engaging different audiences, such as: Artist and curator meetings/content development with faculty, student engagement through events and student interest groups (SIG) outreach, developing symposia, conferences, possibly residencies, connecting to schools and community groups for tours (in collaboration with the education department), developing series of public talks and events for different regional publics, including adult, family, Arabic-language, scholarly, and other.
- Represent the NYUAD Gallery in the communities it serves (attend regional external events and Campus internal events) to develop relationships that enable synergies and growth among our varied constituents.
Strategic and Operations, in Collaboration with Director:
- Support the Chief Curator in developing curatorial strategies and overall vision for the exhibitions program.
- Support marketing and PR, including speaking to the Press, drafting press release content, supporting social media strategies, etc.
- Advanced degree in Art History or related field
- 6+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have curated major exhibitions, with at least one reviewed at an international level
- Sophisticated understanding of art, art history, art collections
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; highly organized and capable of managing multiple tasks; creative and highly detail-oriented; demonstrated ability to interact with multiple constituencies, including internal and external to NYU and NYUAD
- Specialization in the MENASA region or related topics
- Experience working in museum
- Modern or Contemporary specialization
- Fluent written and spoken Arabic
About the Art Gallery at NYUAD
The NYU Abu Dhabi Art Gallery is a non-collecting academic museum. We present curated exhibitions of art and culture across historical and contemporary topics, with a special emphasis on subjects of both regional concern and international significance. Its curatorial platform supports scholarly and experimental installations, artists’ projects, guest curators, and landmark exhibitions.
The Art Gallery focuses on exhibitions that allow curators and artists to experiment and expand beyond what might be possible in a commercial context, and to frame the presentation in scholarly terms, connecting research and knowledge production, the region and our academic community, with each exhibition.
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.