- Campus Life
Curator - Art Gallery
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- February 28, 2018
About the Position
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Curator, reporting to the Gallery Director and Chief Curator.
The Curator’s role is critical to integrating the gallery program with the teaching and research mission of the university, and linking the gallery to surrounding arts institutions, including the Saadiyat museums. The Curator conducts research and from that produces exhibitions in the Gallery that contribute to art historical interpretation and knowledge. The Curator is a key figure for outreach and development strategies, representing NYUAD to the wider arts and culture communities. The Curator is a key partner in building a museum-quality exhibition program in the gallery and for the University.
- Main Gallery Exhibitions Curator: Curate one major exhibition every other year, collaborate with guest curators on exhibition development, conduct research, studio visits, and develop relationships for future exhibitions, write, publish, and present in public forums related to above areas of research
- Campus Art Collection Interpretation: Research and develop curatorial texts to accompany acquisitions by Tamkeen for loan to NYUAD for campus-wide exhibition purposes, advise, together with the Chief Curator, on acquisition strategies, oversee site-specific commissions to come.
Gallery Programs and Outreach
As a senior member of the gallery team, the Curator is responsible for representing the gallery mission to various communities and in the public eye. The Curator will:
- Develop exhibition-related programming around all exhibitions, whether guest-curated or generated in-house. This should include creative strategies for engaging different audiences, including: Artist and curator meetings/content development with faculty, student engagement through events and student interest groups (SIG) outreach, developing symposia, conferences, possibly residencies, connecting to schools and community groups for tours (in collaboration with education department), developing series of public talks and events for different regional publics, including adult, family, Arabic-language, scholarly, and other
- Represent the NYUAD Gallery in the communities it serves (attend regional external events and Campus internal events) to develop relationships that enable synergies and growth among our varied constituents.
Strategic and Operations, in Collaboration with Director:
- Support the Director in developing strategies and overall vision for the Gallery profile and exhibitions program
- Collaborate with Director on marketing and PR, including speaking to the Press, writing press releases, supporting social media strategies, etc.
- Supporting Financial officer (processing invoices when Operations Manager is away)
- Advanced degree in Art History or related field
- 7+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have curated at least one major exhibition, reviewed at an international level
- Sophisticated understanding of art, art history, art collections
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; highly organized and capable of managing multiple tasks; creative and highly detail-oriented; demonstrated ability to interact with multiple constituencies, including internal and external to NYU and NYUAD
- Specialization in the MENASA region or related topics
- Experience working in museum
- Modern or Contemporary specialization
- Fluent written and spoken Arabic
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.