- Campus Life
Director, Student Health & Wellness - Health & Wellness Center
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- December 12, 2017
About the Position
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Director, Student Health & Wellness reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs and Dean of Students.
The Director will be responsible for leadership and overall management of developing NYU Abu Dhabi’s Student Health & Wellness into a state-of-the-art world-class student health center managing clinical and administrative duties, and will have the authority for the design, development, implementation, assessment, and coordination of health-related programs and services for students.
The Director will manage staff responsible for student clinical care, student counseling and support services for students with disabilities. The Director will also determine protocols and best practices to ensure a high standard of care and safety for students and medical staff.
- Manage clinical and administrative staff in the delivery of appropriate state-of-the-art world-class health services to the NYU Abu Dhabi student community. Ensure efficiency of the day-to-day operation including staff scheduling to ensure appropriate coverage of operational hours, establishment of written clinical protocols consistent with the mission of NYU Abu Dhabi, maintenance of appropriate medical supplies and medicine for the delivery of care, and lead necessary student focused collaborative medical initiatives (e.g. travel medicine, women’s health clinic, eating disorders, sports medicine, etc.)
- Provide direction for the recruitment, selection, orientation, development, supervision and retention of high caliber staff, and ensures the presence of well-qualified and properly trained employees to carry out the health center's mission. Develop and implement systems to assess the quality and effectiveness of health programs and services and establishes ongoing quality improvement methods with metrics and outcomes in consultation with the Associate Vice President of Student Health at NYU. Evaluate student care patterns (from clinical diagnosis to frequency of visits) and make adjustments in staffing scheduling, medical protocols and overall delivery of care and medical education.
- Provide health leadership, guidance, consultation and advice on known and emerging issues relevant to the student health, safety, and well-being of students coordinating efforts with the Health Center at NYU in New York, and others as appropriate. Establish and maintain student health care policy for NYU Abu Dhabi, consulting with the Associate Vice President of Student Health at NYU in New York City to ensure consistency
- Ensure consistency in best practices as defined by appropriate regulatory agencies, accreditation organizations, departments of health, and relevant professional associations. Represent NYU Abu Dhabi and the NYU Abu Dhabi Health Center to students, and their parents. Chair or serve on various committees, working groups and review teams to advance the mission of the institution and the work of the Health Center. Maintain for self and clinical staff ongoing professional engagement through activities such as continuing education, service in professional associations, publications or related endeavors ensuring maintenance of personal medical licensure
- Working within the framework of NYU's global system for responding to such emergencies, develop policies, procedures, and protocols for responding to student health-related emergencies. Work in partnership with, and under the leadership of the Associate Vice President of Student Health, in implementing and coordinating the NYU system's response to student health-related emergencies. Lead the campus response to student health-related emergencies and crises, in close collaboration with the Dean of Students and other campus leaders. Serve as spokesperson for NYUAD health programs and services, and serves in an "On Call" capacity for health emergencies and consultation in support of Health and Wellness Center staff
- Will have direct patient care responsibility where at least 25% patient care is a responsibility of the position with the expectation to see patients as part of the rotation schedule (rotations are for at least one week at a time or as appropriate) and to serve/share on call duties with the others on staff
- Oversee the development and approval of annual budgets and financial forecasts; monitor the fiscal performance of health-related services, and ensures that services are managed in a fiscally responsible manner. Structure student health programs and services as required to improve their efficacy, collaboration, and cost-effectiveness
- Doctor of Medicine degree from an accredited medical school
- Eligibility for a current license to practice medicine in Abu Dhabi through the Department of Health
- Post-graduate training and board certification in a primary care specialty
- Post-graduate training and board certification in a primary care specialty in internal medicine or family practice
- Minimum of 6 years' significant, progressive health care administrative experience including the design, development, and direction of health-related programs and services and responsibility for fiscal management, budget development, and human resources
- Broad knowledge of healthcare, mental health services, clinical preventive services, health promotion, and community-based and/or public health services is essential
- Knowledge of quality assessment and improvement procedures and best practices in health care management, patient care, and prevention programs
- Ability to effectively manage staff and work in a collaborative framework
- Analytical and strategic management skills; proven ability to develop, implement, and direct policies, procedures, and strategic planning activities
- Outstanding written and oral communication skill
- Skill in negotiating positive outcomes, and ability to identify, analyze and address problems in order to resolve issues whenever possible in a way that minimizes negative impacts for the operations and priorities of the institution
- Demonstrated success working with a diverse group of colleagues and clients
- Understands and abides by a high standard of professional and personal ethics in order to ensure the integrity of the organization
- Public health training, experience in clinical preventive services and a community health background
- Experience gained in an academic setting where the candidate has understanding of and appreciation for the intellectual, emotional, social and psychological development of undergraduate students in a diverse academic community committed to intellectual rigor
- Managerial experience in a clinical setting
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.