- Campus Life
Strategic Sourcing Manager, Laboratory & Research - Procurement (Fixed-Term 3 Years)
- Job Number
- Posting Date
- June 22, 2017
About the Position
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is seeking to appoint a Strategic Sourcing Manager, Laboratory & Research reporting to the Head of Supply Chain.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager will work with Principal Investigators, senior research representatives, and laboratory managers and act as category lead for procurement activities of laboratory supplies and services, scientific bench-top equipment, industrial/research gases, and other equivalent supply management categories. They will collaborate with research, technical and managerial staff from other research-based universities. Additionally the Manager will proactively advise staff of internal and external issues that might affect their research, service, operational and financial strategies and provide relevant data and information with analysis to aid the formulation of appropriate procurement plans, solutions, and policies ensuring consistency and development of any further plans. They will also work to secure commitment of the research and procurement community to support the University’s objectives enabling the delivery of procurement savings and achievement of operational and financial strategies. The manager will be required to adhere to the organization’s standards and policies, while ensuring highest ethical standards and discretion.
- Responsible for actively monitoring, managing and administration of major service contracts with business contract owner (Deans, Faculty and Executive leaders) with support from Vendor Management Office. Responsible for mediation and resolution of contract claims or disputes. Lead evaluations through the development of RFQ, RFI and RFPs and participate in negotiations. Develop negotiation strategies based on supplier proposals and spend/RFP analysis and act as a contract negotiator within assigned categories / departments
- Lead departmental category strategy in collaboration with executive leaders, researchers and faculty members to identify saving opportunities. Develop and execute strategy to manage and grow relationships with existing and new suppliers (including cost analysis)
- Develop positive and productive relationships with suppliers while keeping healthy competition in our supply base. Independently drive spend and performance analyses to identify savings opportunities and impact of procurement decisions based on data-based insights
- Responsible for evaluating market trends and establishing, implementing and recommending procurement policies and procedures accordingly. Identify and develop new purchasing strategies as warranted. Evaluate and implement appropriate alternative purchasing tools and methods. Develop strategic plans to streamline operations for effective outcome. Ensure all data within the procurement system is accurate and reported
- Oversee and execute the development of requests for information and proposal. Ensure that product and service contracts provide the University with tangible value and benefits. Negotiate high level University-wide contracts. Collaborate with Legal Counsel to minimize liability and ensure compliance with University legal and risk management requirements. Support and collaborate with colleagues, constantly striving for continuous improvement. Market the department's services to the University community
- Mange the full source to supplier management procurement cycle (Initiation - Strategic Sourcing (RFx) - Contract Authoring / Execution - Catalog Content Management - Requisition - Purchasing / Purchase Order). Establish and approve sources of supplies and services. Evaluate potential suppliers by investigating facilities, capacity, and financial stability to meet quality requirements, specifications and delivery dates. Secure bids, analyze proposals, and negotiate purchase terms and conditions. Develop and administer contracts; ensure timely delivery. Perform ongoing supplier relationship management in order to ensure suppliers' compliance with contractual obligations. Assess how well strategically sourced agreements are meeting the requirements of the end users
- Develop and manage effective stakeholder relationships with University departments and advise on supplier selection, products and services. Manage supplier disputes and address/resolve performance issues; review and approve claims against suppliers for unsatisfactory materials or equipment. Serve as a single-point-of-contact form department heads (academic and administrative areas). Manage and develop junior resources within the Procurement organization
- Bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in a relevant field
- Master’s degree in a relevant field/Professional Procurement qualification (i.e. CIPS)
- Project Management Qualification
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in category based procurement activities of which the last three should be as category specialist/manager within fast paced and or complex research based environments
- Experience in higher education, non-profit organizations or governmental body located in the U.A.E
- Experience within class leading service sector procurement organization
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.