NYU Abu Dhabi is developing its research initiatives through focused disciplinary and interdisciplinary centers, laboratories, and projects, as well as through a diverse range of faculty research, scholarly, and creative activities.
The centers and labs provide a cluster of related research expertise to address major questions of societal and global significance. Funding for NYUAD Institute centers and labs has been provided in response to calls for proposals from outstanding faculty to submit proposals that satisfy the following criteria:
- Quality of scientific, scholarly, or creative content
- Likelihood that the research will lead to fundamental advances, new discoveries, technological developments, and/or innovative solutions in the discipline or area of inquiry, or across disciplines or areas of inquiry
- Scholarly strength and creative/research record of the principal investigator and research team or group members, and ability to undertake the project successfully, including appropriate commitment of time
- Potential for advancing the research mission of NYU, including integration of NYUAD with research at NYU in New York
- When appropriate to the topic, relevance to the Abu Dhabi region
Proposals have been funded from 2010 to 2012 in areas of science, social science, engineering, and the arts and humanities. These projects will deliver not only advanced research and scholarship, but also provide opportunities for undergraduate research experiences, foci for graduate research topics, and opportunities for integration with faculty research.
Within NYUAD, the Social Science Experimental Laboratory is an interdisciplinary research laboratory that has developed from complementary research interests of NYUAD and NYUNY faculty.