Last updated: March 22, 2011
The following measures operationalizing the shared Statement of Labor Values will be contractual requirements for all companies involved in the construction and operation of the NYU Abu Dhabi campus on Saadiyat Island. Construction is scheduled to commence later this year.
- Employers will fully cover or reimburse employees for fees associated with the recruitment process, including those relating to visas, medical examinations, and the use of recruitment agencies, without deductions being imposed on their remuneration.
- Employees will retain all of their own personal documents, including passports and drivers' licenses.
- Individuals employed in connection with NYU Abu Dhabi will be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Employees will work no more than eight hours a day, five days a week, except for those working in construction-related activities, who will work no more than eight hours a day, six days a week. Overtime will only be worked voluntarily, and will be compensated at premium rates.
- Employees shall receive their full wages or basic salary via electronic bank transfers and on a pre-agreed upon schedule.
- Employers will not impose or request employment bans on employees seeking to change jobs.
- An employee who completes one or more years of continuous service will be entitled to severance pay at the end of their employment.
- Employees will receive employer-provided medical insurance.
- Employees will receive employer-funded transport to and from their job sites or an equivalent allowance.
- Employees are entitled to thirty calendar days of paid annual leave each year.
- Employees shall receive leave with full pay for ten UAE public holidays each year. In addition, employees will be granted two additional days per year for other religious holidays to be taken at their discretion.
- Female employees shall be entitled to maternity leave, with full pay, for a period of up to 45 days.
- Foreign employees shall receive employer-funded air travel between the UAE and their country of origin for expatriation at the beginning of their employment, for repatriation at the end of their employment, and one additional trip, either annually or biannually, to be used in conjunction with vacation leave1.
In circumstances when contractors provide housing accommodation to those working on the NYUAD project, the following requirements must be met:
- No more than four individuals in any bedroom.
- All rooms must be equipped with ventilation systems and central air conditioning units.
- All workers are provided with secure wardrobes and/or lockboxes for safeguarding valuables, including personal documents.
- Accommodation specifications vary by job classification, but at a minimum, construction operatives must have a minimum of 4.5 square meters of personal living area.
1 This language was updated on March 22, 2011, to correct an oversight in the original posting of this document. The original language stated that foreign employees would receive "...one additional trip, per year...". This statement remains accurate for many job classifications, including most construction-related positions, however, some job classifications are entitled to the airfare allowance every two years.